Production Cook, McMurdo Station (winter)
- Posted: over a month ago
Gana-A'Yoo Services Corporation, GSC, is renowned for excellence in delivery, performance and customer satisfaction with a focus on Food Service, Janitorial Services and Administrative Services. GSC supports the National Science Foundation managed United States Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) and we are currently seeking a Production Cook at McMurdo Station.
As a Production Cook you will be responsible for high quality, large volume food production as directed by Sous Chef; maintaining a safe, clean and sanitary work area, maintains equipment and tools in a professional manner; assisting the Sous Chef and others as necessary.
POSITION: Production Cook
SEASON: Austral Winter
LOCATION: McMurdo Station, Antarctica
SECTOR/DEPT: Gana-A'Yoo Services Corporation (GSC) Antarctica
SALARY: $725 - $824 per week
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace
- Able to maintain flexibility and a positive attitude in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Able to work in a team unit composed of diverse personalities.
- Displays self-motivation in physically challenging and atypical working environments
- Able to follow standardized recipes
- Responsible for preparation of all assigned menu items for primary and satellite locations, utilizing proper cooking techniques and batch-cooking methods.
- Committed to producing high-quality foods, both in taste and presentation.
- Agrees with and adheres to the Standard Operating Procedures and tasking responsibilities of the food services department.
- Able to cook in a setting that is open/displayed to the customers
- Able to coordinate, monitor and expedite batch-cooking procedures before and during service.
- Responsible for proper labeling and dating of food, and efficient utilization of leftovers.
- Displays a commitment to providing exceptional customer service, as outlined by the Sous Chef and/or Food Service Supervisor.
- Responsible for complying with all standards of safety and sanitation in the kitchen and serving areas.
- Responsible for proper use and timely cleaning of equipment and tools.
- Monitors serving temperatures of hot and cold foods.
- Functions as shift leader in the absence of the Sous Chef; all other duties performed under the supervision of the Sous Chef and/or Food Service Supervisor.
- Displays leadership abilities, good communication and organizational skills.
- Assists in educating Prep Cooks on proper cooking techniques and holding temperature of foods.
- Works in conjunction with Stewards and Lead Dining Attendant(s) to ensure timely transfer and scraping of dirty pots to pot-washing area.
- Able to lift up to the safety regulation maximum from the floor to a table or cart in a safe manner.
- Able to stand for up to 12 hours.
- Supports the achievement of ASC/GSC metrics, whether metrics can be directly or indirectly, effected by this position's activities.
- Complies with all ASC/GSC Environmental Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Provides documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority on the job site.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High school education or GED required.
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS:
- Current ServSafe Food Handler certificate must be obtained prior to deployment to Antarctica.
- Valid driver's license
- Valid U.S. Passport
- Minimum of two years cooking experience, with at least one year in high-volume facilities, not including convenience or fast food.
- Previous experience with Food Services in Antarctica may be accepted in lieu of minimum experience.
- US citizenship or permanent residency required.
- A prerequisite of employment for this position is to successfully gain a favorable Tier 1 - Elevated Background Investigation (EBI) result prior to deployment. Candidates hired for this position will be required to complete; online forms, written forms, fingerprint cards and provide additional details and information as requested by NSF Personnel Security.
Gana-A'Yoo, Limited (GYL), an Alaska Native Corporation, offers services with ongoing contracts in many facility types, such as, military training facilities, emergency management centers and temporary field sites. GYL in partnership with ESS Support Services, a Division of Compass Group, will provide operational management support. ESS Support Services is the market leader in providing remote camp and catering services to clients, wherever their location, no matter how extreme the environment may be. Services extend across North America and include such diverse facilities as drilling, mining, construction, pipeline and logging camps, offshore, governmental agencies and others. Payroll and benefits are supported by Compass Group.
We are committed to ensuring that our online application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers.
If you require assistance in the application process, please contact us at:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status. EEO is the Law poster.
Gana-A'Yoo, Limited - Antarctic Program
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?