We are seeking a Technical Art Director (TAD) to lead our art department. The TAD is a recognized expert in their field, drawing from their extensive experience in the video game industry to lead the efforts of the Concept Art, 3D Modeling, Technical Art and Animation teams. The
TAD will be called on to set the visual quality bar, producing work that is at the highest level of quality and difficulty.
The TAD must have a proven track record of resolving the most complex and broad reaching
challenges in relationship to content construction, pipeline management and leading-edge visuals. In
addition to current “best practices” and competitive awareness, the TAD is expected to understand
emerging trends and technologies in video game content and make strategic recommendations as to
how they may benefit and/or impact the organization.
The TAD is a leading contributor to our initiatives and projects, and participates in setting
product and/or functional vision within the studio. Areas the TAD is responsible for include visual R&D,
performance monitoring, standard setting, as well as process and pipeline development.
• Defining content aspirations for the studio.
• Owns and documents the art production pipeline (modeling, animation, characters, lighting,
SFX, etc..). Assures that all disciplines contributing to our projects are adhering to the
pipeline and have the correct resources and support.
• Works collaboratively with the other teams inside the project to identify or invent the technical
art features needed to express the creative vision.
• Sets the production schedules across the art department and maintains delivery deadlines.
• Identifying and or selecting tools and technologies to enhance the content creation process.
• Improving and evolving production and organization structures.
• Collaborate with other technical and aesthetic experts within the company to define clear goals
for the toolset, pipeline and construction processes.
• Analyze competitive products and makes recommendations to senior management.
• The TAD spearheads R&D efforts for tools, content and new technologies in relationship to art
• Collaborates with the art Leads on establishing shared Art Cultures and best practices.
• Participates in setting strategic vision for content and tools.
• Collaborates with engineering to develop cutting edge tools and technologies.
• Works with the other content producers to ensure proper game performance and optimizations.
• Identifies and test external 3rd party tools that would help maintain our leading edge in content
constructions and visuals.
• Identifies and executes on the most difficult content creation problems for the project.
• Systemic (developing content guidelines and pipelines for the in-house platform).
• Identifies and executes solutions to Pipeline and technology deficiencies within the studio.
• Researches future solutions and cutting-edge content technologies.
• Reviews pipelines and content creation process to identify best practices and maintain
• 12 or more years of art or animation.
• Must have shipped Multiple 3D titles.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Must be familiar the majority of modern 3D software packages (Maya, 3ds Max, Motion Builder,
zBrush, Houdini, Substance Suite etc.).
• Strong understanding of game development process.
• Strong understanding of methods of optimizing game art assets for game engines and
optimizing pipelines and processes.
• Proficient scripting/programming in python and C#, with C++ a bonus.
• A Strong understanding of modern 3d engines and the technology behind them.
• Solid experience and understanding of art/animation pipelines on modern game consoles.
• Up to date knowledge of current art techniques and development processes.
• Strong 2D drawing and digital painting skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
• Diligence with individual and team tasks, schedule and adherence to budget limitations.
• Strong interest in computer or video games.
• Strong Troubleshooting skills.
• Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
• Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry
• This is a full-time onsite position in our Portsmouth, New Hampshire offices.
• As a part of the application process, we require a portfolio or demo-reel demonstrating your
experience. Please include a brief breakdown of your contributions, both artistic and technical
for each piece presented.
Why Work Here?We are located in Austin, TX, a beautiful, dynamic city with sunny weather, scenic waterways, and an excellent quality of life.
We are a state-of-the-art game development studio working to bring award-winning games to next-generation platforms.