# Job Description
To provide proficient nursing care for an individual or a group of patients and to provide supervisory oversight for the clinical and administrative staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
Dependent upon area of assignment performs all, or a combination of, the following:
Uses advanced nursing knowledge and the nursing process to:
* Assess factors of the patient's past and present physical, psychosocial, and cultural baseline, health problems, and external support systems which may impact on his/her ability to cope with current health situation.
* Define a nursing problem list, based on the assessment of the patient, that reflects the consideration of the medical diagnosis and the patient's problems,
* Develop and individualize a plan of care which is directed toward the optimal resolution of nursing diagnoses and prevention of future problems.
* Evaluates and document a patient's progress toward goals.
* Collaborates with the health care team in implementation and revision of a comprehensive plan of care and/or goals as necessary.
* Implement appropriate patient education programs to meet individual health care needs.
* Assist physicians with day to day patient care.
* Taking histories and assessing reason for visit.
* Assist with procedures and treatments
* Provide patient teaching when necessary
* Records nursing care using appropriate documentation.
Demonstrates administrative and clinical leadership skills by:
* Overseeing and ensuring the functioning of patient scheduling and triage systems, as well as outpatient clinic flow.
* Anticipating patient care or staff problems that may arise and initiating preventative measures by evaluating staffing requirements and patient needs when in charge of the unit during specified work period.
* Supervises all clinical and administrative staff in planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care.
* Precept and orient staff to policy, procedure and clinical situations under direction of Manager, Chairman, and/or Practice Group Administrator.
* Counseling and evaluating staff under direction of Manager, Chairman, and/or Practice Group Administrator. This position has primary responsibility for counseling and evaluating Department clinical and administrative staff.
* Evaluating working relationships of staff members and providing counseling to improve communication and interaction between staff and team members.
* Planning and implementing formal unit programs including orientation, in-service, patient education, quality assurance and systems of patient care management, ensuring competency and training for staff.
* Developing, evaluating, and revising standards, policies and procedures within area of practice.
* Serving as a role model in the area of professional and ethical behavior.
* Uses results of nursing research to support and/or change nursing practice.
* Participates in research projects per MFA protocols.
* Adheres to ethical and legal standards the profession.Other Related Duties
1. Assists with telephone triage when necessary:
1. To assess the needs of patients via telephone
2. To give advice to patients via telephone and in office
3. To handle calls in order of priority
4. To make appointments whenever necessary
5. To assist with referrals from outside physicians
6. To re direct calls when appropriate
7. To work directly with other support staff to handle problems
2. Maintains professional expertise by earning contacts hours.
3. May lead, attend, and/or participate in staff meetings, patient care conferences, and in-service programs.
4. Develop goals in consultation with nursing manager for professional growth and development.
5. Participates in unit level and departmental meetings
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Current D.C. Licensure as a registered nurse. Bachelor's degree in nursing- OR- Diploma or associate degree in nursing.
At least two years of relevant clinical experience is necessary along with supervisory skills.
Ability to do math calculations, input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorable in all work situations. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
Supervision is received daily from the Nurse Manager or designee with functional supervision higher level nurse or physician.
Functional supervision is exercised over professional and non-professional staff.
*Employee Type:* Full-Time
*Location:* Washington, DC
*Job Type:* Nurse Management Health Care
*Experience:* At least 2 year(s)
*Date Posted:* 11/18/2019