Freelance Proofreader - Nursing/Medical
GW, a leading publishing vendor, is actively recruiting freelance proofreaders for upcoming nursing and medical textbooks. We are passionate about education and contributing to the betterment of the fields of publishing; health science; and science, technology, and medicine (STM). As one of our freelance proofreaders, you would be performing work that truly matters in the nursing and medical fields.
Freelance proofreading assignments are made on a project-by-project basis, and we have a steady flow of projects all year long. This is an ideal telecommute position for applicants who are based in the United States. Project schedules vary, but most projects require proofreading 100-200 pages per week. We are looking for freelancers who are committed to staying both on budget and on schedule—critical components to ensure that we provide quality services to our clients.
Your main responsibilities would include:
- Proofreading PDF files to check for correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Ensuring that the book’s word style sheet has been followed, especially with regard to consistency in abbreviations, acronyms, drug dosages, spelling, units of measure, and use of specific terms
- Checking for visual problems (e.g., tabs, alignment, consistency of fonts and spacing, loose/tight lines, widows, orphans, and bad breaks)
- Checking reference lists for completeness, correct spelling, etc.
- Copying and pasting all text from PDF files into Microsoft Word and performing a medical spell check
What we are looking for in candidates:
- You have experience proofreading textbooks or journals.
- You are well versed in following AMA style. Many of our nursing and medical textbooks follow this style or some variation of it.
- You are familiar with APA 6th edition style. Many of our nursing and medical courses follow this style or some variation of it.
- You have a strong handle on Adobe Acrobat and its features, including marking up PDF files.
- You take pride in meeting deadlines. Delays during the proofreading process can severely affect the publisher’s ability to keep their project on schedule.
- You can work efficiently. As a vendor, we must work within the pre-defined budgets set by our clients, so the ability to work efficiently is vital.
Technical requirements include:
- Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Word (Mac or Windows)
- A medical spell checker installed on the computer ( if helpful, we can recommend medical spell checkers available for purchase from outside vendors)
- Submit a resume and cover letter that includes examples of nursing or medical projects you have proofread.
- Complete our qualifying proofreading test (which will be sent after we receive your resume and cover letter)
Please note: All applicants must be located in the United States.
GW, Inc.Saint Louis, MO
Arts and Entertainment
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.