Are you looking to expand your leadership expertise in bioinformatics in a global environment that allows you to keep pace with the speed of change? At GSK, we are transforming how new technologies are used to improve the lives of patients.
As a Director of Computational Biology, you will lead a 4 - 7 person team of experienced and exceptionally talent individuals and be a member of the Computational Biology Leadership Team. Computational biology is an extremely fast-moving and innovative field with rapid development of many diverse methods and approaches. We need you to bring your experience to drive results, implement state of the art computational approaches and support our investment in functional genomics and genetics as critical elements to our R&D Strategy.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Propose and influence Computational Biology strategy across the overall CB group as member of the CB-LT and implement strategy at the level of his/her team (CB-LT members are located at three different locations in the US, UK and Germany)
- Identify and implement best in class computational biology methods (this may require interactions with external KoLs, academic groups or bioinformatics service providers)
- Lead projects and activities as single accountable person (some maybe fully internal -within the CB group/FxG and with other participants from MST/Research- whilst others maybe with external collaborators)
- May be a Comp Bio lead contact with other partners at GSK (e.g. RUs) or for technology development
- Prioritise and deploy team resource as appropriate to projects supported by FxG to deliver new targets, progress target validation and impact the GSK pipeline (e.g. provide information to next milestone decision).
- Monitor progress of team against agreed objectives and implement course correction as required
- Accountable to senior management for delivery of agreed individual and team objectives
- Set objectives, develop current staff and recruit diverse new talent
- PhD (or equivalent experience)
- Domain knowledge of Functional Genomics approaches and biology managing large scale genomic data.
- Demonstrated experience delivering high quality and state of the art computational biology solutions and analyses in support of drug discovery projects especially related to functional genomics capabilities and data
- Experience leading teams and/or project teams with computationally biology components and deliver influential outputs in a timely manner
- Demonstrated experience influencing senior leadership and working in complex environments with sometime limited information or guidance
- Experience developing strategies and in operationalising strategic decisions
- Capability to communicate complex biology concepts to diverse audiences
- Collaborative prowess
- Experience with Pharmaceutical Drug Development
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.