Environmental Scientist II
- Posted: over a month ago
ENVIRONMENTAL - ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST
GSI is seeking a mid- to senior level Environmental Scientist to support our growing environmental team that is executing technical consulting work, primarily for government clients. The Environmental Scientist will be based in Oahu, Hawaii but will support projects throughout the country. The Environmental Scientist will work on detailed and routine environmental assignments addressing geology, biology, ecology, chemistry, and regulatory issues. The ideal candidate will work closely with more senior staff to support development of environmental work plans and reports. This position will lead and perform environmental field work to include groundwater, soil, soil vapor, sediment, surface water, and other environmental media sampling and perform oversight of subcontractors performing investigation and remediation. Duties include data analysis and compilation, scientific and technical report preparation, lead/asbestos/hazardous inspections, Phase I/II assessments, environmental sampling, and proposal preparation. This position offers the opportunity to learn and gain experience across a range of environmental projects that include restoration, remediation, compliance, NEPA assessments, and munitions response.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Provides technical assistance on all project types while working under the general supervision of more senior personnel
- Collects, evaluates, compiles, and analyzes project-specific data
- Prepares sections of reports and is responsible for ensuring accuracy and quality of work products
- Reviews work products of others for consistency with Standards Operating Procedures, guidance, and regulations
- Functions as a field supervisor, coordinating all field tasks and the efforts of junior-level employees and subcontractors
- Prepares requests for quotes from subcontractors and vendors
- Reviews work products of junior-level staff
- Performs word processing duties including technical editing
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of scientific study, such as engineering, physical/chemical/biological science, environmental science/engineering, geology/hydrogeology, or similar
- Minimum of 5 years of job-specific experience managing and executing environmental tasks for environmental investigations under CERCLA, RCRA, NEPA, CAA, and/or CWA.
- Familiarity with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Good working knowledge of word-processing and integrated software applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project
- Valid driver’s license
- Capable of accessing government properties based upon a background check
- Good working knowledge of word-processing and integrated software applications including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems
- Database experience, including but not limited to Access
- 40-hr HAZWOPER and 8-hr refresher course
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- May work on portions of projects involving the military munitions response program (MMRP)
- Site Safety and Health Officer qualified
- Experience with Federal Department of Defense projects and supporting the USACE and or NAVFAC
- Experience with the National Environmental Policy Act OSHA
- The following certifications: 30-hr Construction, 40-hr EM385, AHERA and HI Asbestos inspector, HI Lead Inspector, First Aid/CPR
Periodic fieldwork travel is required and expected about 25-50% of the year; overnight travel is required. Travel is anticipated to consist primarily of field work at project sites, but may include client visits, conferences, and work at partner offices across the United States. The position will involve outdoor fieldwork at sites across the United States. Fieldwork may require candidate to walk over uneven terrain up to 8 hours a day. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be at site locations, sit, stand, walk, use both hands, and reach and raise items above the head, use fingers to feel and handle, talk, and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight and carry heavy equipment. Candidates are subject to “fit for duty” baseline physical and subject to medical monitoring protocols.
GSI Service Group, Inc.
Energy and Environment
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?