Groundwork is seeking a Program Manager to initiate, lead and implement a variety of programs and restoration projects throughout the City of Yonkers and the Saw Mill River watershed. Projects typically include a mix of renovation and new construction of parks, waterfront and riverfront trails and neighborhood vacant lots. Responsibilities of the Program Manager will include coordination of community, business, and government involvement to revitalize public places; coordination with other Groundwork staff where appropriate; communication with a diverse mix of public and non-profit partners; project management including oversight of project staff and subcontractors involved on projects; and preparation of project plans, budgets and timelines.
The Rivers and Trails Program Manager must be a team player but also be comfortable working independently and efficiently on projects specifically tasked to this position as well as on projects for the organization as a whole. Projects are accomplished through collective action and goal setting as well as independent project management. The Program Manager must be able to think critically, write clearly, and find ways of applying available resources to accomplish goals. The right candidate will also be able to focus on the “big picture” and how it can affect and promote environmental, economic, and social well-being for the community.
Current project responsibilities in various phases of development include:
· The Yonkers Greenway: Design of the first ever, 2 mile walking/biking path to connect downtown Yonkers with New York City is currently underway in partnership with the City of Yonkers. Construction is estimated for early 2020 with planning for the New York City connection of the Greenway beginning in 2019.
· Revitalizing the Saw Mill River Coalition: The Saw Mill River Coalition is a dynamic partnership of nonprofit groups, government agencies, municipalities, and business committed to revitalizing and protecting the Saw Mill River and developing a county-wide Saw Mill River watershed plan.
· Park programming and landscaping: including public tours and interpretive signage for three daylighted parks in downtown Yonkers as well as working with Groundwork’s sustainability education program to develop relevant and engaging curriculum.
· Saw Mill River wetlands restoration: including planting and maintaining water absorbing vegetation to abate flooding, and managing invasive species removal in partnership with Groundwork’s youth leadership program and the US Fish & Wildlife Service.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate must be a self-starter, work well independently as well as accept supervision; share the values and vision of the organization; and demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people from different backgrounds. Qualifications include:
· Excellent project management skills (certification a plus);
· At least three years of program management experience, with work on watersheds, parks and/or greenways a plus;
· Advanced training and/or prior work experience in public administration, community engagement, and/or urban planning;
· Experience working with/for municipal or state government a plus;
· Demonstrated organizational skills along with strong oral and written communication skills;
· An ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines and handle multiple tasks;
· Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
· An ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
Compensation: Salary range is $44,000 - $54,000 commensurate with experience. Employee benefits include employer payment of 80% of health insurance, Simple IRA retirement plan and standard paid-time off benefits. This position reports to the Director of Programs and Operations and is an exempt, full-time position which may require occasional evening and weekend hours.
Application Deadline: Feb. 1, 2019.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
To apply: Please submit a letter of interest and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject header Rivers and Trails Program Manager.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws.