Systems Engineer Controls
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
GILLIG LLC is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. This position is located at our headquarters in Livermore, CA.
The Senior Vehicle Controls Engineer in the New Product Engineering team will be responsible for driving the development of the body controller algorithms for all of the GILLIG vehicles including the first in class zero emission bus. You be challenged to develop unique solutions for various control problems from multiple domains including electrical, mechanical, and thermal. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex that require outstanding creativity, superior initiative, good judgement, and leadership skill. This is a hands-on position.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop customized algorithms for various components and sub-systems on the bus
- Develop functional requirements for the body controller, communication interfaces, diagnostics and fault detection for new vehicles
- Lead DFMEA to identify technical risks and drive the controls logic in order to improve detection and reduce potential failures of the design
- Review software design with cross functional teams to ensure the controls logic meet project requirements
- Bring up the prototype buses. This requires hands-on troubleshooting, testing, and data collecting to solve complex issues
- Train technicians and troubleshooters on the theory of operations and controls logic behind each sub-system and component
- Work with Validation team to develop test plans to ensure the design meet program requirements
- Work with Publication team to ensure the bus manuals complete and accurately reflect the designs
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of progressive engineering experience
- Comfortable working around low voltage and high voltage systems
- Experienced with:
- Ladder logic controls such as Allen-Bradley or Siemens PLC
- Software development using C/C++ or model development
- Diagnosis and troubleshooting electrical systems using tools such as function generator, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.
- Opened and closed loop control systems for sensors, actuators, body controller, ECUs, etc.
- Low voltage components such as circuit breakers, relays, and wiring, etc.
- High voltage components such as DCDC, motor and inverter, Li battery, and high-power charger, etc.
- Safety interlock loop
- Familiarity with:
- Manufacturing processes and environment
- Heavy-Duty vehicle
- CAN-Bus, LIN, and Ethernet communication protocol
- J1939/CAN tools such as CANalyzer, P-CAN, Kvaser, CANoe, CANApe, etc.
- J1939 database
- MATLAB, Simulink, and State flowchart
- 8D, five whys, and fishbone process to diagnose complex issues
- Industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, NFPA, SAE, NEC, etc.
- Lead project
ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; occasionally kneel or squat
- Limited domestic travel
- Typical start time 6:00AM (Negotiable)
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visa’s now or in the future.
After 130 years, GILLIG holds strong to its family values and focus on its employees and customers. Our motivated and dedicated employees have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction. We are committed to building buses that connect communities, eliminate congestion, and contribute to a greener environment. Our Company pride is exemplified by the thoughtful design and quality craftsmanship present in every GILLIG bus. GILLIG’s steadfast focus on quality and unwavering commitment to exceptional customer service sets us apart from our competition.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, GILLIG has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards in which the company operates. Drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of GILLIG employees and to the security of the company's equipment and facilities. For these reasons, GILLIG is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace. All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work.
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.
451 Discovery DriveChicago, IL