Position Location: Fairmont, WV
We are seeking a highly motivated, customer-oriented Senior Solaris Systems Administrator to join our team. The selected candidate will support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Information Technology Center (ITC). This is a strategically important position that will have a large impact on an already successful organization.
We are seeking a Senior Solaris Systems Administrator to perform systems administration with great emphasis on Red Hat Linux OS version 7.x and Oracle Solaris OS version 11.3 and 11.4. This position is also required to perform storage administration tasks for various leading SAN technologies using fiber, NFS and iSCSI protocols. The environment hosts standard enterprise applications as well as weather industry and NOAA specific applications. Fault Tolerance and High Availability technologies are employed extensively to ensure reliability.
The successful candidate should have experience installing, configuring and maintaining virtual and standalone servers running on RHEL and Solaris OS for day-to-day operations administration.
Required support includes but is not limited to:
- Provision and manage x86 hardware and RHEL operating system
- Provision and manage SPARC platforms for the Oracle Solaris OS.
- Provision and manage SAN infrastructure which includes SAN switches and various SAN storage appliances like Oracle SAN and ZFS appliance, DELL SC arrays, and HP EVA storage arrays.
- Provision and manage applications based on LAMP, or other frameworks
- Provision and manage new and existing virtualization platforms in a VMWare vSphere environment
- Provision and manage Oracle PDOMs, LDOMs and zones/containers.
- Provision, present and manage internal and external storage using LVM
- Manage changes for enterprise DNS using BIND
- Manage infrastructure services like NTP and Sendmail
- Develop and document processes for server install, upgrades, and other repetitive tasks
- Perform configuration management, risk analysis, contingency planning and work with designated security staff to conduct security reviews and audits
- Provide 24x7 on-call support for systems administration
- Perform RPM or OS patch upgrades during off-hours scheduled maintenance.
- Participate in a team environment to provide input, meet established objectives, lead individual projects, and share in team success
- Participate in technical working groups consisting of Government stakeholders and other groups designed to facilitate collaboration and technical concurrence of requirements, reviews, issues and resolutions, and technical direction as necessary
- Manage and provide technical support of server hardware and software tools
- Perform firmware upgrades for all supported and managed hardware.
- 6-8 years of experience managing Unix platforms running a combination of applications such as Apache, Weblogic, Bind, MYSQL, POSTGRES, Oracle databases, and various other open source applications
- 6-8 years of experience supporting applications using LAMP, or similar application frameworks
- 6-8 years of experience supporting logical storage administration
- 5+ years’ experience with system monitoring tools (Nagios and Solarwinds monitoring)
- 5+ years of experience with virtualization such as KVM, VMWare, and containers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Strong coordination, organization, teaming and communication abilities along with horizontal integration skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field (i.e., EE, CPE, MIS, IT) or equivalent experience
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
- US Citizenship and must continuously reside in the United States for the last two years
- Experience programming in Unix shell or other structured languages
- Experience automating system provisioning and handling of operational incidents
- Experience installing and administering open source applications
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation.