Summary: Under the direction of and reporting to the General Manager of the Machine Automation Group, the individual will lead the design of complex, custom automated manufacturing machinery, special machinery, and testing equipment for a variety of production environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
Must be creative, innovative, and desire variety. Position requires independent management, highly developed technical expertise and project management.
Specific duties include:
· Lead mid to high level manufacturing projects, providing direction, guidance and engineering expertise to team members.
· Facilitate project flow involving regular contact with engineering, manufacturing and other cross functional teams. Project Management experience in a manufacturing environment
· Lead the internal development of special equipment and machinery and/or lead the development of special equipment and machinery with external partners
Interface with vendors on procuring materials, services, and equipment.
· Review and analyzes specifications, sketches, engineering drawings, ideas and related design data to determine critical factors affecting tooling and system design
· Analyze existing machinery implement changes to reduce down time and rejects.
· Generates operator and machine cycle time calculations using standard timing estimates.
· Draws rough sketches and performs mathematical computations to develop tooling and system design.
· Performs preliminary and advanced work regarding fixture and tooling development processes. Leads formal or functional design reviews with Manufacturing, Engineering and Quality departments to resolve design problems.
· Generates 3D and 2D data sufficient to produce designs with minimum interaction with machining sources.
· Strong understanding of machine center processes and capabilities.
· Generates all required assembly prints, aids, views, etc. required to build tooling or assembly system.
· Assists with processing plans, layouts, and equipment selections.
· Leads projects to develop designs with external suppliers and manufacturers.
· Initiates purchase requests, budget summaries, and supplier quotes for submission and approval.
· Ensures list of perishables are provided to Maintenance, Tool Room and Purchasing on new equipment.
· Mentors less experienced machine designers, maintenance, and product design personnel.
· Aid in development of new products.
· Helps in departmental operation wherever necessary.
· 10+ years experience.
· BS in Engineering or Equivalent Professional Experience.
· Must be proficient in Solidworks and MSOffice.
· Project Management experience in a manufacturing environment.
· Strong hand skills including Machining, Welding, Fabrication, and Fitting; Familiar with PLC’s.
· Good oral and written Communication Skills.
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
· Strong understanding of GD&T.
· Electrical and Robotics Knowledge is a plus.
Must be very capable for MS Office Suite of products. Ideal candidate would also be familiar with various methods of robotic automation, single and multi-axis linear actuated robotic transfer systems.