Automotive Cost Engineer
G-TECH Services Warren, MI
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Vehicle Material Cost Specialist (AKA Cost Engineer or CE) is responsible to create, analyze and validate component material costs and targets. The cost engineer will be responsible for generating ground-up / detailed material cost estimates that encompass both piece price estimations and production tooling estimations. Collaboration with key internal cross functional peers is essential; the selected candidate will have a working relationship with the product engineering team, the purchasing and supply chain team, the vehicle program team, our global joint venture partners in China, and to an extent the external component supply base.
This role involves a high level of independent judgment, initiative, creativity, and the management of multiple estimates that focus specifically on identifying accurate cost estimates as well as proposed cost reductions. The cost engineer will have exposure to the next generation of automotive vehicles while working with leading edge automotive experts and technologies.
Key Responsibilities include:
- The candidate should be able to analyze, organize, and understand large amount of data.
- Comprehensive manufacturing process knowledge is required. An understanding of regional difference in manufacturing processes / assumptions is helpful.
- Be an active partner with the internal GPSC purchasing team – aid in providing a fair yet competitive component cost for GM.
- Occasional domestic travel to supplier facilities for enhanced costing collaboration and support of the specific engineering / purchasing team.
- Support the assigned Zero-Based Cost Blitz activity a piece price perspective, which may include; exterior lighting, fascia’s and grills, sunroof modules, exterior painted body molding, spoilers, wipers, washers and glass.
- Experience in the financial evaluation of technical concepts and comprehensive understanding of production processes. An understanding of automotive industry trends that are occurring within the field regarding new technologies, autonomous driving, electrification, and additive manufacturing is a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments with a high degree of autonomy and complexity.
- Ability to lead change, resolve conflicts, and influence without direct authority.
- Able to assimilate a large amount of cost data and clearly condense / communicate information to the larger GM team in an efficient way.
- Analytical ability to solve problems that are unique and sometimes complex. Ability to use data driven analysis to identify solutions and establish next steps to assigned projects.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with global team members and cross functional peers.
- Demonstrated ability to use all Microsoft Office software and show an expertise in MS Excel. Ability to use / learn GMCO$T (internal GM cost estimating software).
Experience / Educational Qualification
- At least 3 years relevant experience in automotive cost estimating, automotive manufacturing, automotive product design / engineering, or automotive purchasing.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or related / relevant field of study.
- A Graduate degree in Business Administration (MBA), Technical Management, or Engineering.
Experience with any of the following:
- Development of supplier component quotes to OEM’s
- Manufacturing and or launch experience in an automotive setting (OEM, tier 1 or tier 2 environment).
- A broad knowledge of exterior manufacturing processes and principles, including but not limited to plastic / injection molding, exterior painting, carbon fiber, SMC, small stampings, glass, exterior lighting and general assembly. An understanding of expected manufacturing cost factors such as labor, burden, and material as well as commercial items such as SG&A and profit is a plus.
We work with the best of the best! Join us today!
G-TECH Services, Inc. is a leading certified recruitment and placement firm that provides high-quality, flexible staffing solutions to a nationwide client base. We pride ourselves in keeping employee attrition low and offering exciting career opportunities to Engineers and IT professionals! We are large enough to make a difference and small enough to genuinely care about each and every one of our employees! We work with the best of the best! Join us today!
ConstructionView all jobs at G-TECH Services