Performs respiratory care related procedures and responsibilities s in within the scope of the respiratory policies and procedures, under general supervision and medical direction upon the order of a physician. Accepts and transcribes verbal and telephone orders from physician on respiratory therapy procedures. Recognitionof and attention to the psychosocial needs of residents and their families. Utilizes knowledge to insure the care provided meets the unique physical and psychosocial needs are met based on the resident's age. Scope of practice is adult and geriatric residents
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following tasks and assignments:
1) Initiates, monitors, manages, troubleshoots, maintains and weaning residents from mechanical ventilators.
2) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, resuscitator bag ventilation and chest compressions
3) Obtain Blood Gas Samples
4) Chestphysiotherapy, including therapeutic percussion, vibration and bronchopulmoanry drainage
5) Pulmonary Function Testing
6) Oxygen (Medical gas), Aerosol and Humidification administration
7) Manages artificial airway, tracheostomy care, changes, weaning and suctioning of airway and sputum induction.
8) Aerosolized medication administration, hand held nebulizer and metered dose inhaler
9) Incentive spirometry, breathing and coughing exercises
10) Procurement, handling, storage and dispensing of medical gases
11) Setups and maintains all types of oxygen and respiratory supplies and equipment
12) Checks physicians orders
13) Documents ventilator settings and measurements and performance of respiratory procedures, response to therapy including heart rate, respiratory rate, breath sounds
14) Performs initial assessments, care plan and assessment of residents respiratory status, resident's progress, including the recognition and recording of signs and symptoms of respiratory distress and medication effects and side effects or adverse reactions and notifying a physician and resident's nurse
15) Education and inservice training to residents, families, nursing and other nursing home staff.
16) Reviews data obtained and documented by other respiratory therapists.
17) Discusses abnormal or unusual assessment findings with Supervisor as needed.
18) Documents, according to policy, discharge instructions and/or nursing transfer summary.
19) Checks proper operation of equipment before and during use as well as emergency equipment as assigned and report malfunctioning equipment to the Supervisor and Maintenance.
20) Evaluates and documents according to policy resident responses to implemented respiratory care.
21) Communication/Leadership: Participates as an effective member of the resident care team contributing to the efficient operation of the unit, demonstrating effective interpersonal communication with all personnel, residents and families as part of the facility's commitment to quality resident care.
+ Applies basic verbal and non-verbal communication skills to identify and reduce resident's/family's anxiety.
+ Acts as preceptor for new employees as assigned.
+ Demonstrates procedures to new respiratory personnel, as assigned.
+ Communicates pertinent information and requests through established organizational channels.
+ Presents an accurate and comprehensive shift report to oncoming respiratory therapist, including resident's condition, unit activities, actual and potential problems and possible solutions.
+ Initiates occurrence/incident reports as needed and follows through with standards of operating procedures.
+ Interacts with others in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner.
+ Recognizes learning needs of personnel on unit and provides instruction as necessary. Notifies supervisor of learning needs.
22) Professional Development: Seeks opportunities for own growth and expansion of responsibilities to maintain competency and assure the use of up-to-date methods in care giving.
+ Participates in educational programs and workshops to increase professional competence.
+ Attends mandatory in-services such as CPR/Infection Control, Fire/Electrical Safety and Performance Improvement/Risk Management. Reads and follows through on written communication books on unit and initials as appropriate.
+ Attends staff meetings (at least 75% per year).
+ Participates in Performance Improvement programs,
+ Presents neat appearance in appropriate dress and identification as required by the position, department and facility policy.
23) Administrative- Sets and implements goals and policies consistent with the philosophy and purpose of the facility.
+ Abides by the standards identified in FutureCare's Statement of Corporate Ethics and the Corporate Compliance Plan.
+ Performs other relevant duties as assigned.
+ Complies with schedule as posted and adheres to daily assignment.
+ Current Maryland Respiratory Therapy license.
+ CRT or RRT Certification
+ Minimum of 1 year clinical respiratory experience.
External Company URL: http://www.futurecarehealth.com
Street: 22 S. Athol Avenue