With guidance from supervision and peers, assist technical personnel in general laboratory operations and routine laboratory or information handling tasks in support of scientific research. Maintains laboratory facilities and equipment in accordance with laboratory standards in order to help ensure the validity and integrity of experimental results. Perform tasks according to accepted methods and training prescribed by the work group.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (responsibilities and duties)
Perform routine and special rodent necropsies (autopsy) and/or routine and special histology procedures.
Work as a member of a team toward timely, efficient, accurate and precise production of histological slides for examination by the pathologist. This includes, embedding, cutting, staining and coverslipping.
Euthanize laboratory animals to help ensure the humane treatment of animals.
Observe and record data such as weights and physical characteristics of laboratory animals in accordance with Laboratory standards in order to help ensure the validity and integrity of experimental results.
Observe and record facility and equipment measurements such as weights and temperatures in accordance with Laboratory standards in order to help ensure the validity and integrity of experimental results.
Operate, clean/maintain facilities and equipment in accordance with standards operating procedures.
Order, receive, decontaminate, and store equipment and other consumables; stock cabinets in order to help ensure efficiency of laboratory operations.
Provide general assistance to laboratory operations such as preparation of reagents and solutions, and disposal of biological and/or chemical waste in order to help ensure that operations run smoothly and efficiently.
Train less experienced co-workers in routine duties in order to help ensure efficiency of the operations.
Adhere to EPA and FDA regulations, protocols, Standard Operating Procedures and Good Laboratory Practices
QUALIFICATIONS (knowledge, skills and abilities required to accomplish essential functions)
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Contribute in a team environment.
- Recognized non-routine or unusual circumstances and obtain advice from appropriate personnel.
- Organize, prioritize and complete assignments to stated specifications
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Contribute to a safe working environment.
- Computer skills, commensurate with Essential Functions; including ability to learn a validated system.
- General chemistry, biology, and mathematics skills
- Function independently with minimal supervision
- Recognize relevant work to be done and take necessary action
- Must be able to deliver high-quality work product.
- Must be able to operate in a regulatory environment.
- Must be flexible and able to obtain new knowledge and skills that will contribute to overall objectives.
- Must be able to work a minimum of one weekend in an eight-week period.
- Must be willing to handle laboratory animals.
AS or BS Degree from a histotechnology program, animal science degree or on-the-job training preferably 3 years of comprehensive laboratory experience.
Frontier Scientific (Utah location) is a chemical developer, manufacturer and custom research services provider to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, industrial chemical, government, and academic sectors. Frontier Scientific specializes in the development of chemical compounds and processes related to porphyrins, phthalocyanines and boronic acids. Frontier Scientific develops building blocks for small molecule drug discovery, SAR studies, and lead optimization. Frontier Scientific provides standard catalog products with production quantities generally in the milligram to kilogram scale. Frontier Scientific's NMR, GCMS, LCMS, and UV/VIS spectrophotometer are located in-house to ensure quality compounds and quick turn around on projects. Frontier Scientific is a privately held corporation established in 1975 and headquartered in Logan, Utah.