This position works directly with children in the classroom under the supervision of the teacher. Employee assists the teacher in routine program activities, conducts learning and play activities with children in small groups, and performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists the teacher in the classroom as directed. Distributes, arranges, and maintains teaching materials and equipment.
- Provides care and protection for assigned children, and assists the teacher in carrying out the daily program designed to meet the physical and developmental needs of group of children.
- Supervises children’s play activities by participating with children in group games, enforcing safety rules, and encouraging children to develop positive social relationships with each other.
- Works with the teacher to develop the potentialities of individual children. Bring to the attention of the teacher special problems in adjustment, learning, social interacting, or physical functioning of individual children.
- Assists the children with routine activities such as naps, meals, bathroom, and dressing.
- Assists the teacher with arranging the environment and prepares supplies for activities.
- Attends staff meetings, training sessions, workshops, and conferences.
- Responsible for office/clerical duties, end-of-day closing, and other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Secondary Job Functions
- Performs general housekeeping duties in the Center such as keeping classroom activity areas in order.
- Fills in as Lead Teacher during Lead Teacher absences and during the summer.
- High school Diploma or equivalent and a 40-hour Early Childhood class required OR
- Associate Degree in Early Childhood preferred.
- One year of related work experience.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Satisfactory background check and fingerprint based criminal background check as required by the Wisconsin Administrative Code for Child Care Center Licensing.
- Demonstrate ethical conduct in all aspects of the work environment.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain an excellent working relationship with internal and external customers.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, as well as good listening skills.
- Ability to identify needed action without continual direction.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Neatness in work and appearance.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, maturity, initiative and integrity with a professional image contributing to the success of the college.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work with diverse student, staff, and community populations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Accept responsibility for professional growth.
- Dependable, punctual, and commitment to following through on tasks.
- Flexibility in work schedule is required.
- A minimum of 25 hours of Continuing Education are required each year.
- Knowledge of methods used in providing quality child care.
- Good working knowledge of methods utilized in providing quality care, including theory and procedures.
This is a Limited Term position with an anticipated duration of 3-4 months.