Hybrid: Environmental Scientist/Software Developer
- Medical , Paid Time Off , Retirement
Use Your Powers for Good.
Are you a software developer that is wildly concerned about the environment or maybe an environmental scientist who has serious programming chops? If the answer is yes, we would love for you to consider joining our team. We have a unique position that would be perfect for someone with solid programming training and a desire to apply these skills to solving environmental challenges.
Specifically, we are looking for a new teammate who is familiar with the environmental science/engineering domain that also has excellent programming skills focused on data analysis and visualization with web programming techniques; familiarity with relational database technologies; knowledge of cloud-based architectures and web-mapping technologies; an understanding of how to conceptualize and build end-to-end website architecture for small web platforms for scientific audiences to store and visualize data; and strong written and verbal communication skills. Duties will be broken up approximately as follows:
- System development (45%)—Develop environmental data management systems for a variety of projects focusing on cloud-based architecture, online data entry, real-time data acquisition, and online data visualization
- Data analysis (45%)—Assist scientific research teams with data mining and analytics
- Existing systems maintenance (10%)—Maintain existing data management systems and web applications including bug fixes, new feature development, and performance tuning
- EITHER a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, environmental engineering, or a related discipline and a web programming boot camp type course OR a bachelor’s degree in computer science, informatics, or related discipline
- Proficiency in Python programming language and SQL
- Strong interest in environmental science and/or natural resource management
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Pandas data manipulation library and Django web development framework
- Experience working with spatial data and web mapping
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with environmental, natural resource, and/or wildlife data management and analysis
The Four Peaks Environmental Science & Data Solutions, LLC (Four Peaks) is an environmental science and engineering firm helping solve environmental challenges in our rivers, lakes, and oceans. We apply our expertise in data science, aquatic research, water resource management, and regulatory compliance in order to equip our clients with the information they need to make important decisions. Our projects have included work on salmon recovery and Clean Water Act compliance, and we take pride in the positive impact our projects have on our communities. The Four Peaks Data Solutions team builds the technological scaffolding that supports our environmental research. Specifically, our projects involve developing data management and analytics systems that transform environmental data into readily accessible information to support environmental management decisions.
Our firm is committed to ensuring a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Through this commitment we hope to positively impact our local, regional, national, and global communities—those same communities in which we operate. We live our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at Four Peaks as core values through how we hire, promote, and develop our team. We are determined to pursue these values to build a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive day-to-day workplace and company culture.
Summary of Employee Benefits
- Annual profit and performance-based bonus
- Performance-based incentive compensation
- Employer sponsored health insurance
- 401k program with employer match
- 10 paid holidays and a generous paid time off program
- Cell phone allowance
- Flexible work options (e.g., remote vs. in-person, non-traditional hours)
- Reimbursement for equipping a home office
We’re small, so we employ a human (not an ATS) to review all our applications. We’d love it if you dropped us a line via a short cover letter along with your resume and let us know why you think we’d be a great match (aka please don't just bot respond).
Qualified applicants will meet with the Data Solutions team and other members of the company but we don’t require days-long interview marathons. Instead, our process includes posing a thoughtful timeboxed problem task that is similar to what the successful applicant will encounter while working here (no riddles or LeetCode). We think this gives us all realistic expectations.
Four Peaks Environmental Science and Data SolutionsSeattle, WA
Energy and Environment
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.