Animal Resources Manager
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position Title: Animal Resources Manager
Project Title: VA Veterinary Medical Unit
Employment Status: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
The Veterinary Medical Unit (VMU) at the Atlanta VA Medical Center provides and maintains healthy animals for use in IACUC-approved research, and also ensures that the animals are cared for in a humane and appropriate manner, observing the ethical standards and federal regulations. This role reports to the Chief Veterinary Medical Officer and will assist with oversight of the VMU, compliance with Standard Operating Procedures, and compliance with all regulatory requirements pertaining to animal care and use in a research setting. The position is critical to the research efforts at the Atlanta VA Medical Center and requires an individual with a highly specialized technical knowledge and excellent management skills. The Animal Resources Supervisor will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
• Perform medical examinations and execute proper care of animals (pre- intra- and post-operative). Supervise and resolve animal care issues, including health control plan with dedicated Standard Operating Procedures. Report animal procedure observations to IACUC, and any medical issues to the consulting veterinarian.
• Schedule, observe and document, and provide recommendations for improved surgical technique/outcome. Assist researchers with content development for animal procedures and SOPs for decontamination of equipment. Assist with responding to identified concerns.
• Administer medicine and veterinary treatment plans. Exercise animals as needed.
• Provide training for animal care team and researchers in aspects of animal handling and husbandry, as well as anesthesia equipment, performing animal procedures and monitoring.
• Lead VMU orientation and training for new research staff.
• Coordinate waste anesthetic gas monitoring.
• Submit and review health reports, arrange for transportation, oversee quarantine and processing, including diagnostic samples and in-house parasitology (to include fecal and fur pluk samples).
• Test and examine sanitation effectiveness of animal housing, hand-sanitized equipment used in animal studies, and automatic watering systems. Coordinate pest control treatment.
• Oversee AAALAC accreditation. Develop program description and BSLII usage content, assist and provide IACUC with documentation to prepare for site visit.
• Maintain IACUC and facility records, including those related to animal welfare, safety, personnel training, controlled pharmacy, to meet AAALAC accreditation requirements. Animal room temperature, alarm testing, RAD and WAG monitoring reports, etc. are key.
• Review experimental protocols and coordinate operations with Principal Investigator, animal care staff and researchers.
• Actively partner with Animal Facilities Manager to ensure that the VMU is fully operational. Provide documentation to on per diem and surgery charges for services rendered, surgical supply and medication usage, diagnostics performance, animal transfers coordinated and all hourly technician assistance.
• This position may be designated as Essential Staff during inclement weather and/or natural disasters.
The incumbent may be required to carry a mobile device for phone calls “after hours”. Additional tasks outside of “normal” job duties may be required.
Physical Requirements: Bending, kneeling, sitting on the floor, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, restraining, stocking shelves, unpacking, wrapping cages, grasping, reaching overhead, twisting, balancing. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Function 1 (50%): Oversee the health and welfare of animals in the VMU and administer care as necessary. Provide operations oversight to ensure that animals receive proper care and policies and procedures are adhered to by animal care and research staff.
Function 2 (25%): Provide training, experimental protocol review, guidance and compliance assistance with researchers. Monitor the facility to ensure safe and sanitary conditions for the animals.
Function 3 (25%): Maintain compliance records and develop reports accordingly, including animal procedure observations. Participate in inspections, site visits and audits.
Other Functions: Participate as an IACUC sub-committee member.
Education: College degree is required. Related field of veterinary, biomedical, biology sciences is desired.
Experience: At least two (2) years of animal husbandry or related animal care is required. A minimum of three (3) years in a managerial or supervisory role of a laboratory animal facility is required.
Specific Skills: Knowledge of animal husbandry, as well as animal health and welfare, standards. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a collegial manner with all levels of staff at the medical center. Strong written and verbal communication, organizational and computer skills (Microsoft Office) are essential. Must be able to oversee a complex operation, learn new skills quickly and effectively function with minimal supervision. Self-motivation is critical for success; this role is highly independent. Must be able to create a positive work environment that supports continuous improvement, and work in cooperation with the VA VMU and Research leadership.
Special Knowledge, Licenses, Etc.: AALAS certification at the LATG level is highly desirable.
Relocation and Visa sponsorship are not available for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
FAVER is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. FAVER provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
Foundation for Atlanta Veterans Education and Research, Inc.
Get fresh Veterinary Management jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.