Prep Sports Reporter
Forum Communications Company Duluth, MN
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Prep Sports Reporter - The Duluth News Tribune
Responsible for collecting ideas, gathering facts, analyzing and reviewing data and ideas in order to produce content on multiple platforms in the Sports Department. This position may be assigned to one or more departments within the newsroom. Essential responsibilities include:
- Writes sports game stories, features and columns, with the primary beat of prep sports reporter.
- Posts sports stories and summaries to the website in a timely fashion.
- Gathers scores, stats and other game-related information to produce games summaries and agate.
- Contributes to the website by planning online components for stories, writing online stories and composing additional content; may be responsible for blog, social media and newsletter content.
- Receives assignments and develops own ideas into relevant news content.
- Gathers, verifies and provides information for stories through interviews, observations and research.
- Organizes material, determines focus and writes stories according to editorial style and format standards, for multiple platforms.
- Builds rapport and stays attuned to local, regional and state sports issues.
- Collaborates with the newsroom’s visual and design teams to ensure stories are presented to readers in the best possible way.
- May be responsible for editing of stories.
- May need to use video and camera equipment as needed for stories.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communication or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Professional experience writing, AP style preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, interview and take accurate notes and write accurate, clear and concise stories.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills in word processing and content management systems.
- Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, maintain confidentiality, balance demands, set priorities and manage multiple issues/projects at a time.
- Knowledge of Freedom of Information Act and libel laws.
- Know how to use video and camera equipment and edit photos.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the company.
- Must carry an acceptable level of vehicle insurance as required by the company.
Application deadline is 07/08/2021. To apply, visit www.forumcomm.com/careers/. For any questions on the position, please contact Rick Lubbers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Forum Communications Company, our legacy is deeply rooted in harnessing the power of communication to connect and inform people in the communities we serve. Since 1917, everything we do is driven by creating and sharing information, ideas and insights.
Today, we're a leading media and technology company that's home to a family of people whose passion and purpose is fueled by collaboration and innovation. We believe in supporting each other, working hard towards common goals and having fun.
Come for the perks: Excellent employee culture, competitive pay, 401(k), company-paid volunteer time, health and wellness initiatives for all employees. Additional perks for full-time positions include: comprehensive benefits package, generous paid time off, paid holidays and paid time off for birthday, paid parental and pregnancy disability leave for qualifying employees.
Stay for the people: Family-owned and operated since 1917, development and growth opportunities, inclusive, creative culture, safe working environment, employees of all ages and backgrounds, positive collaboration.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Forum Communications Company
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at Forum Communications Company