Research and Development Technical Specialist-Merced, CA
- Expired: July 21, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
Fortis Solutions Group in Merced, CA is looking for an experienced Research and Development Technical Specialist!
The R&D Technical Specialist duties include but are not limited to working with the R&D Manager to troubleshoot and document print and converting issues, testing, and evaluating inks, coatings and adhesives, materials, and methods for new and existing products, as well as assisting with researching, testing and installation of new equipment lines. Some sales and other FSG site support as needed, through observing, documenting, testing, and evaluating products in the field and representing Fortis Solutions Group in a professional manner to clients, supporting the QC department through technical and root cause analysis and recommending process improvement opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing the FSG Trial Request Log for Plant 24
- Travel to customer sites, potentially on short notice, to provide technical support including field trials and troubleshooting of label application issues as needed.
- Travel to other FSG sites as needed to support R & D initiatives.
- Performing and documenting tests to qualify raw material sources to ensure continuity of supply.
- Auditing Manufacturing processes to prevent “process creep.”
- Conducting “Back to the Basics” classes with each shift.
- Prepare and present written and oral technical, qualification and progress reports to the R&D Manager.
- Document operating parameters and equipment configurations to ensure repeatability during the scale up process.
- Ensure a smooth handoff to the operations team once commercialization of a product line is completed.
- Assist with development of appropriate test protocols to simulate fitness-for-use criteria that are predictive of success in the field. Work with QA and operations to implement required testing.
- Document and present best practice recommendations to production.
- Coordinate with suppliers to establish appropriate test criteria for incoming raw materials.
- Support supply chain with necessary documentation to address supplier material issues or submit claims.
- Additional duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- College Degree in Technical Field, Engineering, Packaging, or related industry experience is preferred.
- Minimum three years’ experience in process engineering, technical development, flexographic printing, water and/ or solvent-less lamination, pouching and slitting within the packaging industry.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Flexographic Technical Association, (FTA) and Flexographic Image Reproduction Specification and Tolerances (FIRST) program a plus.
- Knowledge of vertical form fill seal (VFFS), and horizontal form fill seal (HFFS), pouching, stick pack, lidding and flow wrapper machines is a plus.
- Able to work effectively within a multi-faceted team including machine operators, maintenance staff, managers, suppliers, sales, and customers.
- Independent and creative “out of the box thinker.”
- Willing to attend required training courses or sessions related to the job as assigned.
- Regular sitting and repetitive office tasks are required.
- Position frequently enters and interacts with production area and is required to stand, crouch, lift or do other physical tasks from time to time.
- Must be able to lift between 30- 50 lbs. on an as needed basis.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- When not working in an office environment, regular exposure to dust and noise in the production environment.
- Warehouse environment temperatures may be influenced by outside temperatures.
- Testing and visits to customers may occur after normal work hours based on customer / sales and production schedule availability.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- As required by facility policy.
- Travel as needed to support the above responsibilities. While last minute travel will be avoided when possible, it may be required at times. Initial travel time estimates are expected to be not more than 25%.
Fortis Solutions Group Llc
TechnologyView all jobs at Fortis Solutions Group Llc