Early Head Start/Head Start Custodians
Fort Valley State University Fort Valley, GA
- Posted: over a month ago
Fort Valley State University's Family and Consumer Sciences is seeking candidatesfor the Early Head Start/Head Start Custodian position. The Early Head Start/Head Start Custodian is responsible for performing a variety of duties involved in the care maintenance and cleaning of assigned buildings and facilities.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Pick up supplies as needed.
- Perform routine custodial duties necessary to keep assigned buildings and facilities clean and in a desirable condition.
- Clean and sanitize restroom facilities and fixtures including mirrors, sinks, urinals, toilets and partitions; replenish supplies in restrooms including filling soap and towel dispensers.
- Clean, disinfect, and deodorize all bathrooms at least once daily and check bathrooms throughout the day for cleanliness.
- Clean shared spaces which include meeting rooms, hallways, janitorial storage rooms and other areas as assigned.
- Sweep, vacuum, mop, wax strip and polish floors; Buff floors as indicated on the written schedule.
- Clean light fixtures, replace lights, bulbs, and fluorescent tubes as necessary.
- Identify and report building maintenance needs in assigned buildings and facilities. Perform building maintenance duties such as; stopping minor leaks, plunging/unclogging drains, sinks and toilets, tightening or replacing screws and nails, replacing locks on gates.
- Maintain a clean, safe, healthy environment throughout the center at all times.
- Deliver classroom and center supplies and materials when necessary.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms twice annually, replace batteries as needed, inspect fire extinguishers, recharge annually.
- Perform work in adherence to safe work practices and procedures and in compliance with applicable standards.
- Use approved chemicals safely and according to directions on the containers.
- Requisition supplies according to Fort Valley State University Head Start procedures.
- Maintain an adequate quantity of cleaning supplies.
- Maintain a current MSDS manual for chemicals used in the center.
- Safeguard all equipment and supplies.
- Clean shared spaces and halls immediately in the event of emergency spills or accidents.
- Assist teachers in disinfecting classroom furniture as needed to remove food and bacteria.
- Report needs for major repairs to the Transportation and Facilities Manager.
- Pick up trash daily on the ground, rake leaves, and straw on grounds as needed.
- Complete tasks according to established timelines and written work schedule.
- Clean or change air-conditioning and/or heating filters monthly.
- Clean furniture, windowsills and fixtures in shared spaces weekly and whenever needed.
- Check outdoor learning daily for safety hazards and trash.
- Replenish toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, and paper drinking cups as needed.
- Collect and remove all trash from trashcans daily and replace liners.
- Dispose of all trash bags with food waste and paper goods that teachers remove from their classrooms after each meal.
- Maintain a clean and organized work/area custodial closet at all times.
- Clean walls in the classroom, meeting rooms, offices, and halls as indicated on the work schedule.
- Clean all windows as indicated on the work schedule.
- Maintain fixtures and equipment in good, safe, working order.
- Prepare requisitions and informs Transportation and Facilities Manager when additional facility maintenance or repairs are needed.
- Assure that all cleaning supplies, chemicals, tools, and dangerous items are kept locked and out of the reach of children. Secure supplies in locked cabinet/storage when not in use.
- Attend all staff meetings and training opportunities called by the Transportation and Facilities Manager or other content area managers as needed.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Must successfully pass a drug screening and background.
- Must have a valid Georgia Driver's license and current vehicle insurance.
- Must be 21 years of age or older and possess working knowledge of the behaviors and developmental stages of preschool children, typically gained by working one year or more in a school or preschool setting.
- Knowledge of safety practices as they relate to preschool children.
- Must have own reliable transportation to travel to and from one of the centers located in Taylor, Macon, Dooly and Crisp counties.
- Must be punctual and able to work Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p. m.
- Must be able to work indoors as well as transition the classroom to outdoors.
- Physical capability, strength and coordination adequate to drive a 20 and up passenger bus.
- Occasional lifting of up to 50lbs, typically placing children into seats and ability to carry or drag a child in an emergency out of the bus to a safe area.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Stand, walk, bend over grasp, reach overhead, stoop, twist, push, pull and move lift and/or carry 0 60 pounds to
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro