Job Title: Design Engineer
Reports To: Engineering Manager
Direct Reports: None
Salary Grade/Range: Full Time, Salaried
Company Overview – Forge Resources Group, DeKalb, Il.
Forge Resources Group consists of six manufacturing facilities located throughout the Midwest, specializing in manufacturing complex closed die forgings.
The primary function of the design engineer position is to design tooling and implement manufacturing processes for current and future products. This role will primarily work with internal and external tooling vendors to manufacture tooling and other various components required to produce finished products which meet customer specifications. This role will also be utilized as a technical support role inside and outside of the company, working closely with production, quality, and sales personnel as well as current and new potential customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Create and document forging designs and 2D forge prints for customer approval using CAD software per customer requirements, specifications, feasibility, etc.
· Determine optimal process(es) to produce products based on various customer requirements and/or manufacturing capabilities/restrictions
· Design and model forging tooling using SolidWorks CAD software
· Confirm tooling design & manufacturing processes using FORGE simulation software
· Create and communicate BOM required for each project with engineering coordinator and tooling vendors
· Source work with internal and external tooling vendors; communicate manufacturing methods and requirements accordingly
· Troubleshoot manufacturing issues with production and quality personnel at production plants as the need arises
· Communicate manufacturing constraints with sales department and customers
· Implement process improvements on existing products and processes
· Quote potential new products for cost, feasibility, and processes
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required
· Proficient with 2D and 3D CAD software (e.g. AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Creo, etc.)
· Proficiency interpreting and creating technical drawings per ASME Y14.5-2009
· Experience reading and interpreting technical specifications
· Experience using FEA simulation and analysis software
· Understanding of common manufacturing methods (milling, turning, EDM, welding, etc.)
· Strong technical writing skills
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Familiarity with MS Office suite
· Typical Hours: 8A-5P, M-F
· Location: FRG Corporate Office, 1801 Pleasant St., DeKalb, Il 60115
· Subject to exposure in manufacturing environments
· Travel Required: Less than 10%
· Lifting and manipulating parts weighing up to 70 lbs.
· US citizen or permanent resident