Associate, Market Development
- Posted: over a month ago
The Associate originates community solar and/or greenfield solar and/or storage projects, owning the progression of each project from site control to monetization. The Associate will do this with significant oversight and guidance from the Senior Director of Community Solar.
With P&L responsibility in a market, this role is critical to the company’s success, delivering profitable MWs to the business plan. It’s also an opportunity to grow your skills and begin an exciting career journey in solar/storage project origination and development, while solidifying ForeFront Power’s position as a leader in community solar.
The Associate will develop a site acquisition strategy based on legislative, regulatory, and/or local rulings and then underwrite these sites as they progress through the development process, considering economic, interconnection, real estate, design, land use, environmental, and regulatory realities. The Associate’s work will result in projects that are prepared for successful monetization/project close and limited write-offs. Working collaboratively with a team of sales, development/operations, tax, engineering, legal, and project finance professionals, the Associate will use analytic and problem-solving skills to evaluate variables affecting a project’s valuation when making investment/capital deployment decisions during the project lifecycle.
A successful Associate is a thought leader in each market, acting one step ahead to limit asset portfolio risk and maximize returns.
JOB LOCATION AND REPORTING TO
This position will be based in either our San Francisco or New York City office or for the right candidate as a remote position. The Associate reports to the Senior Director, Community Solar.
- Originate community solar and/or greenfield solar and/or storage projects and own the progression of each project from site control to monetization.
- Utilize market knowledge to identify target areas for land acquisition activities and work with the Land Acquisition Mangers to obtain economical sites that have clean title and a path to permitting, interconnection, and utility PPAs or incentive/community solar spots.
- Complete due diligence on the land holdings to de-risk the portfolio and identify and fix any gaps.
- Develop a plan for each project that seeks to maximize project viability, while minimizing write-offs for abandoned pursuits.
- According to this plan, coordinate the activities needed to obtain conditional use permits and interconnection agreements with the Project Manager and Interconnection Manager assigned to your markets.
- Own the inputs into each project’s pro forma, working with the Engineer, Interconnection Manager, Tax Manager, and Project Manager assigned to the project to value engineer the project’s system size, system production, build cost, interconnection cost, incentive qualification, and tax treatment.
- Complete successful community solar project selection applications, if needed. This includes owning the internal and external activities needed for the application and sourcing and obtaining community support.
- Develop an offtake acquisition strategy for each project, negotiating agreements with companies who source C&I or residential offtake, if needed.
- Attain expert understanding of the policy environment in your assigned markets; use this expertise to develop winning strategies for ForeFront Power.
- Manage a project pipeline and make effective investment and process-oriented decisions. Provide management with regular updates on projects, including forecasting and progress.
- Build relationships from warm or cold outreach that lead to land acquisition, offtake acquisition, community, state/municipal, and/or advisory partnerships.
- Frequently assess the viability of projects and propose ways to increase project revenue or reduce costs.
- Develop project proposals for landowners, municipalities, businesses, or government agencies.
- Interface closely with Finance, Development, Engineering, Legal, Analysts, and Management to progress projects, considering probability and time weighted project returns. Work with these teams to monetize projects through either an IPP or project sales model, contributing positively to company profits.
- Track and evaluate emerging regulatory rulings and assess potential for market creation.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who want to be part of a fast-paced and fluid company poised for growth in one of the country’s most rapidly changing industries.
Forward-thinking, innovative approaches and comfort with complexity are what define the ForeFront Power team. We are looking for individuals eager to run at the front with us.
- 3+ years of experience in solar or a related field, with preference for development or origination experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong analytical and computational skills, with preference for financial modeling experience
- Creativity and critical thinking skills to tackle project development hurdles
- Strong insight development and value proposition skills for both internal and external audiences
- Ability to operate well in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage diverse relationships and multiple, complex projects simultaneously
- Advanced Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills with the ability to efficiently communicate work
- Communication skills in written and oral English that take someone from unaware to a project champion
- Ability to build relationships through both cold and warm outreach
This position is primarily sedentary in nature and requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk in front of a computer. This position requires approximately 30% travel into certain markets. The Associate should be comfortable traveling to various sites including construction sites and being around heavy equipment along with traveling to meet with local and state jurisdictions regarding laws and rulings.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CULTURE
The organization promotes an open and collaborative work atmosphere. Cross functional teams work closely together to solve problems and move the company forward. Our culture at ForeFront Power encourages employees to be authentic and to embrace our core values that celebrate passion for our work, a commitment to our planet, a winning attitude, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a community of respect for each other and our partners.
This is a regular, full-time position eligible for benefits. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including competitive base salary and bonus potential; health, vision, and dental coverage; commute assistance; professional development; Paid Time Off; and 401(k) with employer match.
ABOUT FOREFRONT POWER
ForeFront Power is a leader in the United States for solar and energy storage solutions. The ForeFront Power team holds more than a decade of experience working together across over one gigawatt-DC (GW) of renewable electricity, spanning more than 1,300 distributed generation and community solar projects. Serving business, the public sector, and community solar customers in the U.S. and Mexico, ForeFront Power is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in New York City and Mexico City. ForeFront Power is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsui & Co. Ltd., a global energy infrastructure and investment leader with a robust balance sheet and an “A” credit rating from Standard & Poor’s. For more information, visit forefrontpower.com.
ForeFront Power is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of thought, gender, and race. We believe our continued success depends upon the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, military or veteran status, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by country, federal, state, or local law.
AddressSan Francisco, CA
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?