Position Title: Benefits Specialist
Reports to: HR Director
ADA: Full time position. Ability to sit for long periods of time and/or stand periodically during work day and lift up to 30 lbs., when necessary. Computer data entry a portion of job duty.
OSHA: Must adhere to universal precautions, to include blood borne pathogen protection, at all times.
Summary/Objective: Benefits Specialist is responsible for administration of employee benefits in all company operations. As needed, this position provides special guidance and assistance to all locations on various employee benefit plans. Benefits Specialist surveys industry and/or community to determine company's competitive position in employee benefits. This position develops, recommends and installs approved, new or modified plans and employee benefits policies and supervises administration of existing plans. This position develops cost control procedures to assure maximum coverage at the least possible cost to company and employee
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Administer employee benefits programs such as retirement plans; medical, dental, vision plans; life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; and wellness programs.
2. Evaluate and compare existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys and other sources of information. Plan, develop and/or participate in area and industry surveys. Analyze results of surveys and develop specific recommendations for review by management.
3. Develop specifications for new plans or modify existing plans to:
Maintain company's competitive position in labor market and obtains uniform benefits package for all company locations, where possible.
4. Recommend classes of eligible employees for new or modified plans. Develop census data and solicit insurance companies for quotations. Evaluates quotation and make recommendations to management. Develop company cost information for new plans and make premium cost share recommendations to management.
5. Prepare and execute, with legal consultation, benefits documentation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies. Instruct insurance carriers, trustees and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefits program. Ensure prompt and accurate compliance.
6. Assure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act and the Affordable Care Act. Supervise preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies. Review and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and report necessary or suggested changes to management. Coordinate company benefits with government-sponsored programs.
7. Work with the Finance Department to reconcile medical/dental/life/VSP/EAP/Colonial Insurance/Aflac Insurance monthly bills. Reconciles Legal Mutual of Omaha Life STD and LTD.
8. Develop benefits information and statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers and management.
9. Participate in annual open enrollment process monitors the receipt of open enrollment information and submitting enrollment applications to insurance carriers. Update benefit election information for payroll deductions.
10. Handle benefits inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintain contact in person, and by phone or mail, insurance companies, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
11. Supervise maintenance of enrollment and claims records for all benefits plans.
12. Assists HR Director with various research projects and/or special projects and prepares correspondence.
- A.A. degree or equivalent in human resources, personnel management, psychology or public administration, or;
- Five (5) years’ experience in any equivalent combination of training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities for human resources and benefits programs
Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality
2. Ability to work as a team member
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and employee will also perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by supervisor.
* This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.