Reporting and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Technical Manager, the Development Manager is responsible for new product development, product
enhancements, product redesign, technical support as well as process improvement in internal work processes.
- BS in Chemistry, Polymer Science, or closely related degree required; Organic Chemistry preferred
- 3-5 years in coatings, inks, paints, adhesives, or plastic polymer industry strongly preferred
- Experience with converting and/or thermal lamination preferred
- Must have good technical rigor
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Available to travel 10%
- Analytical and Self-driven
Additional Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Maintain expert level of product knowledge and application.
- Recommends the nature and scope of present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements; focusing on coating technology and new chemistries
- Evaluates and resolves technical feasibility, design optimization, and production issues.
- Utilize “Out of box thinking” to develop new coating process, new products, and film structures.
- Conduct formulation changes which improve overall product include coating and additives application.
- Develop co-extrusion and multi-layer technology to modify polymer surface and product offerings.
- Determine in-house/in-line printing technology to reduce converting costs for end users.
- Address customer complaints while providing technical solutions.
- Conduct trials as needed for new product implementation.
- Improve and/or develop off-line coating technologies to meet market needs.
- Optimize Design of Experiment (DOE) which includes improving experimentation protocols.
- Use statistical methods for development and process analysis.
- Search patent and Intellectual Property information for successful product development; qualify new products as
- Identifying and providing reliable solutions for technical issues to assure complete customer satisfaction through all stages of the process.
- Researches and monitors existing client base and industry developments and identify potential new product opportunities.
- Works with other departments to establish a design, technology, product development, and vendor strategy.
- Articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users.
- Listen, understand and convey customer requirements.
- Work with upper management to meet corporate objectives while also providing status of ongoing projects and future projects.
- Support Technical team and other departments as needed to meet demands.
- Assist with improving technical staff knowledge base through necessary training and teaching.
- Identify customers needs and opportunities to help future growth.
- Adhere to FDA compliance for food contact.
- Organizational and planning skills
- Communication skills
- Judgment and decision-making ability
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Interact with persons of various social and cultural backgrounds
Flex Films, located in Elizabethtown, KY, is a world class player in the polyester film and flexible packaging markets through driving efforts in technology, innovation, and product development. Flex Films is part of UFLEX Group which exceeds annual revenue of $1.2 billion, operates on 4 continents, and supplies products to over 140 countries.
Flex Films Offers:
-Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
-Diverse, inclusive work environment which offers learning opportunities
-Entrepreneurial environment to inspire innovation and enthusiasm
We utilize the expertise of our people to innovate products to meet tomorrow’s needs. If you are interested in applying your skills and knowledge to make a global impact, then discover the numerous career opportunities at Flex Films and become part of our international team.