*** Apply with cover letter, resume, story clips and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 p.m. Saturday, June 20, 2020. ***
Flagship Publishing is hiring a part-time Magazine Staff Writer in Windsor, Colorado to help with the creation of three statewide magazines: Colorado Life, Utah Life and Nebraska Life. Ideal candidates will have a portfolio of recent magazine or newspaper writing experience and will be eager to work in a fast-paced environment.
We publish keepsake print magazines for loyal and passionate subscribers. We don't write current-event news stories, blogs, tips or how-to articles. Instead, we publish entertaining, place-based stories using lively, descriptive writing with anecdotes and colorful characters. Our topics include travel, nature, adventure, history, communities, personalities and food. We aim for every story to entertain our readers and help them understand life in their favorite state.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, creative writing, English, history or a related field of study
- 2+ years writing for publications, including pitching stories to editors and working with those editors on edits and revisions
- A demonstrated ability to adapt to writing styles and audiences
- Working knowledge of Associated Press Style
- Research, pitch and write department stories and feature stories on travel, food, history and more
- Research and write photo captions
- Assist with proofing and copy-editing
- Assist with fact-checking
- Participate in magazine editorial budget meetings
- Other duties as assigned, assumed and developed