The Sous Chef is responsible for the leadership of the kitchen by managing and overseeing the activities of the entire kitchen as well as menu development, food quality through purchasing organic products, multi-cultural cuisine, kosher foods, etc. The chef is also responsible for recipes including menu item presentation, i.e. lunch, corporate and catering events.
The Sous Chef directly supervises all kitchen personnel with responsibility for hiring, training, employee development, performance evaluations and salary recommendations. As a Sous Chef, you are expected to maintain high standards by establishing food specifications and adhering to those specifications via recipes, portion control, presentation, safety and sanitation. You will be held accountable for the execution of your shift over all operation in sync with the Chef.
The Sous Chef promotes constantly harmony and positive, constructive communication with the café in order to move forward in establishing a pleasant work environment. He/she ensures cost effective production of the highest quality food.
- Responsible for production according to recipes/directions
- Develops, cooks, manages breakfast, lunch and dinner for employees
- Has knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Develops and tests recipes, techniques for food preparation and presentation
- Must have skills in cooking and preparation of a variety of foods
- Possesses ability to supervise and/or assign training for kitchen staff
- Possesses ability to plan a variety of menus on a daily basis
- Possess knowledge of food supplies, equipment and services, ordering and inventory control
- Establishes, manages and maintains all vender relationships
- Consults with Facebook’s Catering/Event Coordinator on a weekly basis as well as with other departments if necessary
- Other duties may be assigned
*NOTE: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks which are illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed or assigned by this position.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent culinary skills
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments demonstrating upward career tracking
- Interpersonal and organizational skills
- Recipe development and testing
- Menu planning
- Sense of urgency
- Excellent/Strong verbal skills
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Professional appearance
- Ability to move throughout the café and kitchen
- Knowledge of safety and sanitation in the work place
- High volume production & large batch cooking
- Ability to handle kitchen equipment and tools safely
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to understand and speak Spanish a plus but not required
- Ability to read, understand and enforce safety/health procedures
- A high level of commitment, passion, and creativity for food
Education and Work Experience
- Culinary School graduate
- 4-5 years’ experience as a Sous Chef preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Previous management preferred
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments/operation
- The work environment for sous Chefr includes the following large kitchen environment elements and exposures
- Fast paced kitchen
- Fast paced office environment
- High sense of urgency
- Moderate to high noise level
- Exposure to soap and cleaning solutions
- Slippery/uneven surfaces may be encountered
- Frequently moving from cold freezer to normal kitchen environment
- Occasional smoke, steam, and heat in a confined space
- Must have and maintain an active ServSafe Managers Certification as required by the California Health Department.
- Some heavy lifting (may lift 10-50 lbs.) and possible moving of equipment required
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision for safe navigation of work area and use of equipment
- Heavy and repetitive hand and arm motion involved in production and clean up
- Standing, walking, bending/twisting, and balance are all required to perform job task
- Reaching across surfaces while moving containers, reaching above shoulders for containers for removal and storage
- Standing a minimum of 8 hours a day
- Carrying containers of different sizes and different types of product of all shapes and sizes
- Removing hot items from oven
- Able to work ten hour plus shifts plus ability to stand, sit or walk for extended periods of time
- Must possess hearing, visual and sensory abilities to observe and detect emergency situations; also distinguish product, taste, texture, temperature and presentation and preparation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Physical requirements include stooping, standing, climbing and frequent lifting of a minimum of 50 lbs. of equipment. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Under The Americans with Disabilities Act reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Authorized to work in the U.S.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
FlagShip is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.