RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT COUNSELOR (Multiple Full-Time/Part-Time Shifts Available)
Full-time (40-hours/week) position under the general direction of the Unit Program Coordinator Responsible for working as part of the treatment team to: Assist in the implementation of individual treatment plans for children/youth focusing on vital areas such as therapeutic interaction, crisis intervention, education, and activities. Provide supervision,counseling, and direct care for children/youth living in the group home setting, serving as a surrogate parent, to teach values, life skills, and problem-solving skills. Ensuring safety and security of children/youth while also maintaining a therapeutic environment. Effectively partnering with families so that they feel empowered as a vital member of a team. Collaborating with co-located DCFS staff to complete intake process and orientations for children being admitted to Transitional Shelter Care Program. (applicable to Transitional Shelter Care program only)
- Provides direct service to children by:
- Direct supervision and assistance, by following the structure of the clients' daily routine; i.e., meal and snack preparation, sleep, recreation, health, hygiene, safety, and discipline.
- Assists children in the acquisition of independent living skills, such as management of money, care of clothing,successful completion of skills enhancement in doing cottage chores, jobs and keeping appointments.
- Cares for children when ill, being aware and attentive to individual health needs (including reporting on side effects)
- Applies appropriate first aid.
- Assists in medical and psychiatric appointments as directed.
- Assists in maintenance of the home,furnishings, equipment, and grounds, including periodic cleaning, refurbishing,minor repair and monthly maintenance inventory; purchases household supplies.
- Dispenses and records all prescribed medications; notes and reports on side effects in the absence of Health Services or Unit Program Coordinator; will adhere to medication storage protocols if medication dispensing or intakes occur outside of Health Services hours. (applicable to Group Home and Transitional Shelter Care only)
- Under the direct supervision of the Intake and Transitional Shelter Care Program Supervisor and in collaboration with DCFS co-located staff, staff will conduct intakes and orientations to newly admitted children on a 24 hour 7 day a week basis. (applicable to Transitional Shelter Care only)
- Coordinates with clients treatment team, service plans and utilizes treatment techniques and interventions to assist clients, families and significant others in achieving goals.
- Manages the behavior of residents through the use of approved behavioral management techniques/interventions; ensures compliance with agency policies.
- Plans and participates in special occasion celebrations: admissions, birthdays,holidays, discharge, recreational activities, and community activities.
- Plans,implements, lead, teach and facilitate the constructive use of leisure time through therapeutic activities.
- High School Diploma with 2 years' experience working with Severely Emotional Distributed (SED) clients or in mental health field. BA plus 2 years' experience working with SED clients or in mental health field preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize and maintain family-type living environment; parenting capacities for nurturing and guidance of children; cooperate with other members of the treatment team; ability to form helping relationships with children through empathy, understanding, acceptance,a non-judgmental attitude, and appropriate limit-setting to promote security;understanding group process and ability to initiate appropriate change, ability to participate with children in carrying out residential responsibilities,ability to teach, advocate, support and facilitate development of independent living skills in adolescents.
- Thoughtful decision making and resourceful problem-solving ability, self-starter,self-aware, willingness to work productively with other adults, potential to benefit from training and supervision, ability to learn and be open to adopting agency's philosophy, methods, and procedures.
- Ability to be flexible and work in a changing environment, work varied hours including evenings, nights, and weekends, and effectively as part of a team.
- Current California drivers license and a driving record acceptable to the agency's'insurance carrier.
Five Acres Perks:
- Medical plans
- Dental plans
- Vision plans
- 401k with a 3% employer match
- Profit Share matching after one year of employment
- Bilingual stipend of $4,000 - $6,000 for applicable positions
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Gym membership discounts
- Emergency Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Pre-paid legal plan
- Educational Assistance Program
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Employee Referral Program
- 10 paid holidays
- Parking Reward Incentive Program
- Paid training
- Supervision towards LMFT and LCSW licensure
- Mileage reimbursement
- Cell phone carrier discounts (up to 25% off )
- Floating holidays
- Generous vacation and sick-time
- Vacation cash out
- Two credit union options
- Wellness Incentive Program
- RISE and RISE coaching
Location: Altadena, CA
Five Acres is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Therefore, the Agency does not discriminate, and does not permit its employees to discriminate against other employees or applicants because of race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices),creed, color, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related legally protected medical conditions), sex stereotype, gender identity/gender expression/transgender (including whether or not you are transitioning or have transitioned) and sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry,physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status,age (40 and over), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.