Founded in 1960, Fitzemeyer & Tocci is a growing Massachusetts mechanical and electrical engineering firm. We specialize in designing innovative solutions for many of the leading institutions and businesses in New England. If you’re looking for an opportunity to align yourself with an established firm while working with state-of-the-art computer technology in a friendly, informal work atmosphere, then F&T is your place to shine!
We are currently seeking an Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team.
The Mechanical Design Engineer provides the work force which produces most of the firm’s work. No longer ranked as "in-training", a Design Engineer is assigned specific tasks on project teams and is expected to use his education, intelligence, and common sense to resolve the engineering problems and tasks he/she is assigned. More experienced staff is always available to help when the Design Engineer needs assistance.
TYPICAL DUTIES: The following duties are typical of the position but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
1. Makes calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design, such as heating and cooling loads and equipment sizing.
2. Lays out portions of ductwork and piping systems based on schematic layout by Project Engineer.
3. Is encouraged to try to solve engineering problems using experience, judgment and education, but is expected to ask for assistance when needed.
4. Works under the direction of the Project Engineer/Lead Project Engineer, and informs them of work load.
5. Is expected to become proficient in the use of a computer for design and CAD/BIM applications.
6. Researches design options and document findings for Project Engineer.
7. Researches panel and terminal equipment selection from catalogs
8. Completes CAD/BIM mark ups
9. Provides information to Project Engineer for incorporation into specifications.
10. Conducts field surveys
11. Provides punch list support
12. Calculates space, equipment, and energy loads
13. Designs room layouts
14. Participates in company-wide special projects (BIM, Standards)
15. Organizes and maintains project files.
16. Assures that drawings and designs are in accordance with company production and design standards.
17. Edits word-processing documents and understand procedures for file saving, retrieving, and transferring.
18. Maintains a neat and organized work area, which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
LIMITS OF AUTHORITY: Has authority to perform moderately complex design duties, which are checked for accuracy by others. May not exceed budgeted hours on task without approval of Lead Project Engineer. May not change the scope of work nor deviate from any part of the design narrative without Lead Project Engineers approval.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS: Works directly for the assigned Mechanical Group Leader, according to assignment. Works under minimal supervision. Helps in development of junior staff. Some client contact for project coordination. Ability to communicate with project team to minimize misunderstanding and conflicts. Promote coordination and cooperation of in-house project. Success dependent on Key Functional Partnerships with Lead Project Engineers, Project Managers, and Staff to ensure “zero-defect” quality deliverables.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Experience in a technical and administrative capacity; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. 0-4 years applicable experience.
3. Bachelor of Science in Engineering required.
4. FE and/or LEED certification preferred.
5. Must be knowledgeable in the use of computer for design and must understand CAD/BIM operations.
6. Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices relating to appropriate discipline, including both design and construction.
7. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
8. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and clients.
9. Must be capable of working within a project team as defined in the F-T functional model.
10. High energy and enthusiasm
11. Understanding and knowledge of applicable codes.
12. Keeps current on the “State of the Art” in their design specialty through review of periodicals and in continuing education.
This is a full time and overtime and bonus eligible position. We offer our employees a flexible work environment and opportunities for advancement. We have an exceptional benefits package including 95% paid family medical and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, company paid LTD, 401K match, and 100% tuition assistance reimbursement. We are conveniently located in Woburn right off of I-93 with plenty of free, covered parking, dining facilities and a free gym.
Visit us at www.f-t.com.