Fisher Phillips, a national employment and labor law firm, is seeking an experienced Data Analyst to support our Southern California offices. The position will be housed in either our Los Angeles, Irvine or San Diego office. With over 370 attorneys in 32 offices nationwide, our range of experience and expertise enables us to bring efficient and practical solutions to today's labor and employment law problems. For more information about the firm, please visit us at our website at www.fisherphillips.com.
The Data Analyst is responsible for analyzing client and other data related to our labor and employment practice. The analyst designs, creates and manipulates data reports for results, trends and variations. The Data Analyst must have superior excel skills and be comfortable evaluating large amounts of data and creating formulas for proper analysis.
The Data Analyst performs under the direction and supervision of an attorney, paralegal, or other legal professional. We expect the Data Analyst to perform high-quality, accurate work while managing a busy case task load. The Data Analyst is expected to record 1500 or more billable hours during the performance year. The performance year begins October 1 and ends September 30. The Data Analyst does not render legal advice to a client, ever.
- Damage model preparation, which involves taking payroll and time data produced in a variety of formats and importing into a excel format; designing reports and formulae in excel that will provide the analysis needed to predict damages in different scenarios; and working with the attorneys to manipulate the data to get the information they need. Formulae will be altered to change the parameters and lawyers will ask for “what if” analyses.
- Pay plan calculator design and manipulation, which involves reading the criteria for commissions and bonuses that are set forth in a pay plan or contract and designing excel spreadsheets that will allow our client to use the calculator to determine wages owed.
- Creating spreadsheets to analyze other business data, or manipulating spreadsheets provided by a client.
- General excel work beyond the capability of an admin or word processor.
- Statistical estimation and testing for adverse impact in employer hiring, promotion and termination processes.
- Utilize Excel to work with client data to identify statistical trends in Human Resources data.
- Linear and logistic regression modeling and hypothesis testing used in preventative pay equity reviews.
- Manage deadlines and ensure project steps are completed and progressed in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate with other team members, attorneys, paralegals and class action attorneys.
- Written and verbal contact with HR and legal professionals at businesses ranging from small employers to Fortune 500 companies.
Skills and Abilities
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills required
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects, from start to finish, with shifting priority levels
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience with routine billable time and cost capturing for analysis performed
- Be consistently at work and on time; arrive at meetings and appointments on time; ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Respond promptly to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
- Follow instructions; complete tasks on time; commit to the hours necessary to complete assignments; work independently.
- Approach others in a tactful manner; treat others with respect; react well under pressure.
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit; support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Possess superior Microsoft Suite skills
- Presents written communications that are concise and accurate.
- Exhibits confident and professional verbal communication skills.
- Keeps appropriate people informed of the status of projects, work and deadlines.
- Maintains a positive and “can do” attitude when dealing with clients, co-workers, and attorneys.
- Answers questions clearly and thoroughly.
- Contributes to an atmosphere of teamwork and congeniality.
- Possesses a strong understanding and abides by the policies and procedures of the firm and local office.
- Maintains an exceptional customer service attitude and demeanor at all times.
- Flexible and willing to pitch in wherever needed.
- Takes ownership; gets the job done without the need for prodding or supervision.
- Respects the time constraints faced by the lawyers in the office.
- Adapts well to fluctuations in workload and changes in responsibilities.
- Maintains a professional demeanor in high-stress situations.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum 5 years data analyst experience.
- Expert user in Excel, Tableau or similar program.
- Experience with Microsoft Access and Visual Basic for Applications preferred.
No relocation costs. Principals only, no calls please.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.