Senior Systems Engineer
Senior Systems Engineer
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the management of a multi-tenant cloud within the FirstLight data center environment. The successful candidate will be experienced in delivering highly available Infrastructure as a service to a diverse user base. This role provides the ability to operate in a dynamic environment, supporting customers deploying a wide range of cutting edge and business critical applications, including VMware, vCloud, Veeam, and Zerto. This position will be part of a highly collaborative team that emphasizes knowledge sharing, documentation, and skills development.
- Architecture and support of new and existing mixed VMware environments, including troubleshooting and resolving Tier 3 escalations for managed VMware and storage environments
- Deployment & maintenance of new and existing FWaaS deployments, including troubleshooting and resolving customer escalations for managed Fortinet & Sophos environments
- Identify technology upgrades and improvements based on experience and industry best practices
- Participate in the research and development on the latest virtualization technologies tools, and capabilities as well as other emerging infrastructure capabilities
- Create and maintain architecture and troubleshooting documentation to reduce unnecessary escalations
- Contribute to excellent customer service, communication, process support, and accountability
Required Technology Skills
Minimum 6+ years of hands-on experience with architecture, implementation, and support of VMware environments with the following technologies:
- VMware 7+
- Clustering, replication, and high-availability technologies
- High-performance storage
- Enterprise systems and security
- Storage networks
- Solid Power Shell, Power CLI
- Planning and directing complex projects
- Backup as a service
- Disaster Recovery as a service
Required Executive Functioning:
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills combined with strong written and oral communication skills
- Independent self-starter who is able to successfully complete job functions with minimal supervision
- Reliable and a responsible team player (documentation, mentoring, and collaboration)
- Strong desire to learn new skills and apply knowledge to solve unique challenges and improve the team
Certification and Education:
- VMware VCP or VCAP
- Veeam VMCE
- BA/ BS in relevant subject preferred but not required
FirstLight, headquartered in Albany, New York, provides fiber-optic data, Internet, data center, cloud and voice services to enterprise and carrier customers throughout the Northeast connecting more than 13,000 locations in service with more than 125,000 locations serviceable by our more than 25,000-route mile network. FirstLight offers a robust suite of advanced telecommunications products featuring a comprehensive portfolio of high bandwidth connectivity solutions including Ethernet, wavelength, and dark fiber services as well as dedicated Internet access solutions, data center, cloud and voice services. FirstLight’s clientele includes national cellular providers and wireline carriers and many leading enterprises, spanning high tech manufacturing and research, hospitals and healthcare, banking and financial, secondary education, colleges and universities, and local and state governments.
FirstLight is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We recognize that our differences are assets that strengthen us as a team, and FirstLight is committed to fostering an environment where everyone feels welcomed, valued, respected and recognized. FirstLight Fiber is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal laws, FirstLight’s equal opportunity policy is that all applicants and employees are treated equally by the company with respect to employment opportunities, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or veteran disability.
FirstLight Fiber, IncSomerville, MA
TechnologyView All FirstLight Fiber, Inc Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.