Director of Children's Ministries
First United Methodist Church of Orlando Orlando, FL
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
First United Methodist Church of Orlando
Position Title: Director of Children’s Ministries
Ministry Area: Discipleship
Reports To: Executive Pastor
Status: Ministerial; Full-Time; Salaried
Partner with parents, volunteers, staff, and other church members to ensure children learn to seek and love God, love and serve people. Nurture children and their families to grow in wisdom, love, and God’s grace through weekly ministry events, seasonal programs, and home faith formation tools. Encourage children to grow as disciples of Jesus Christ by praying together, building community, sharing their gifts, serving, and sharing their stories. Advocate for children within the congregation and community. Include children and families in all aspects of church life.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
- Work with pastors, ministry staff, and Children’s Leadership Council to create, plan, and oversee developmentally and theologically appropriate opportunities for children of all ages and abilities.
- Resource and lead weekly opportunities for children (i.e. Sunday School, Ignite, Mommy & Me, etc.).
- Plan and oversee seasonal programs for children and their families (i.e. Christmas, Easter, Vacation Bible School, Mission Camp, etc.).
- Provide a safe and nurturing environment for children in our nursery.
- Recruit, schedule, supervise, and train staff to care for children in our nursery and in our care for child-care hours.
- Create new ministry opportunities to minister to the whole family as well as multi-generations.
- Recruit, empower, and train volunteers to adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures while developing and adapting educational opportunities that promote a lifestyle of discipleship
- Partner with parents to ensure children continue to seek and love God, love and serve people throughout their lives.
- Develop faith-formation opportunities for families to do at home.
- Create processes that enable smooth transitions of ministry through children’s life stages (i.e. into kindergarten and into middle school).
- Adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures.
- Work with the pastors to evaluate children’s ministries with input from relevant people.
- Assist pastors and congregational care ministers to respond to pastoral care needs of children and their families.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Create an environment conducive to positive interaction with staff members, lay leadership, church members, and the community.
- Develop positive relationship with Wesley Center Director, staff, and teachers. Partner with the Wesley Center in ministry to children and families. Attend Wesley Center Board meetings as a non-voting member.
- Work with the Director of Communications to communicate clearly and often with children, parents, volunteers, First Church, and the community about opportunities in First Church’s Children’s Ministries.
- Enthusiastically inform pastors, staff, members of First Church, etc. about the activities of the Children’s Ministries.
- Ask for help when needed.
- Promote, communicate, and embody the vision, mission, and core values of First Church.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University and two years of related experience.
- Embodies and lives the Christian faith. Deeply committed to personal spiritual growth.
- Passionately desires to share and develop the Christian faith with children and families.
- Working knowledge of internet tools including social media, spreadsheets, and word processing software.
- Strong commitment to Christian faith and theology of The United Methodist Church. Familiarity with the United Methodist Church structure and Wesleyan theology.
- Must be adaptable, innovative, cooperative, and communicative.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff, lay leadership, children, parents, and the community.
- Ability to solve practical problems and effectively cope with the challenges that may arise from working with a variety of people in a church setting.
- Must be able to multitask, organize, and delegate.
- Must be able to work independently and with a team.
- Must pass a background, fingerprint, and reference check.
- Ability to occasionally lift 25 lbs or more.
First United Methodist Church of OrlandoWhy Work Here?
Inclusive church in downtown Orlando
142 E. Jackson Street OrlandoOrlando, FL
Personal CareView all jobs at First United Methodist Church of Orlando