First State Bank is looking for a VP of Mortgage Lending to lead our MLOs in our soon-to-be 13 branch network. We prefer an experienced lender who is familiar with the Waupaca/Stevens Point/Wisconsin Rapids area, which is centrally located in our expanding branch footprint. A portfolio of business in this geographical area is also helpful.
VP is responsible for the direction, administration, sales, and coordination of all Mortgage Lending and processing functions for the profitability, efficiency, and strategic growth of the department and organization.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Completes the full range of the sales process associated with mortgage transactions including loan applications, underwriting, and offerings in adherence to bank policies and procedure, secondary market agencies, and external lender policies.
- Generates sales leads to increase department growth, through the fostering of partnerships with real estate brokers/agents, networking groups, branch referrals, and online applicants to help create a fantastic experience for all involved.
- Creates and assesses customer relationships in order to sell a variety of mortgage lending products and reach set individual and department sales goals.
- Perform a full range of supervisory duties of the Mortgage Lending department including the complete adherence to all policies and practices of the Bank and its regulatory and governmental agencies, to ensure a fluid and efficient department.
- Coaches, trains, and develops Mortgage Lending employees, increasing their product and regulation knowledge as well as their abilities to grow and maintain a portfolio of mortgage loan customers.
- Provides executive direction of the Mortgage Department and evaluate the performance of individuals under their area of responsibility, coach, and recommend adjustments to ensure all functions are operating smoothly and efficiently.
- Maintains overall compliance of Mortgage Department Processors and Officers with all loan industry policies and regulations through the education and supervision of staff.
- Ensures the progress of the department's strategic direction through the research, development, and cultivation of new and existing mortgage lending products.
- Manages fees, expenses, and sales growth of the Mortgage Lending department in order to meet and exceed set profitability goals.
- Maintains mortgage software programs including product & compliance updates, templates, as well as issue resolution.
- Manages an allocated department budget for all expenses in order to reach goals of maximizing department resources and profitability.
- Remain active and in good standing on the NMLS Registry.
Secondary Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Creates optimum customer service and assistance for customers by working through the mortgage loan process with them including the collection of all proper information of the customer and property, verifying documentation, and giving accurate disclosures of mortgage information.
- Participates in business development activities to represent the Bank in civic, business, industrial and professional organizations, the promotion of products or services, and maintenance of the Bank's favorable image.
- Practices self-education and advancement by staying current on all financial reporting requirements established through regulatory and accounting agencies.
- Maintains educational and professional expertise through attendance of job related seminars, conferences, and workshops and involvement in professional civic and community groups in leadership positions.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
Majority of interpersonal interaction takes place with individuals internal to the organization as well as regular communication and interaction with external customers and/or community members.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in business or related field.
- 10+ years in banking, mortgage, or other lending areas, management level experience preferred.
- Ability to register with the NMLS registry.
- Capability to be a producing agent and close mortgage transactions.
- Working experience and knowledge of FHA, USDA, VA, and conventional loan requirements and regulations.
- Excellent teaching and communication skills as evident by ability to interact face-to-face, over the telephone, via email, and written communications with subordinates, management, customers, and external vendors.
- Visible leadership and motivational skills and ability to create an environment in which to allow for the progression of individuals and teams toward the achievement of goals.
- Practiced knowledge and understanding of regulatory and compliance issues related to all departments with the ability to utilize knowledge in day-to-day operations and disseminate information to staff at all appropriate levels.
- Ability to mentor and teach existing and incoming Loan Processors and Mortgage Loan Officers of the department.
- Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment.
- Strong organizational, analytical, time management, and problem solving abilities.
- Mental ability to assume responsibility for projects that are complex and involve bank-wide impact and confidential issues.
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Problem Sensitivity
- Employee sits for prolonged times of mental and visual concentration in indoor office environment.
- This position requires travel in creating customer and business relationships, meeting customers in promotion of programs and services, recruiting company referral opportunities, and other business necessity. As such, a valid driver's license is necessary.
- Employee uses basic office equipment and computer software including but not limited to mortgage software (i.e., Ellie Mae, Encompass, etc.), desktop computer, printer, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, calculator, telephone and voicemail, loan processing software, Microsoft Office products, scanning software, and other.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.