- Posted: over a month ago
JOB SUMMARY: The Junior Accountant will handle a wide range of essential duties. We are looking for a skilled Junior Accountant to perform a variety of accounting, bookkeeping, and financial tasks. The Junior Accountant will work closely with the Accounts Payable Specialist and Staff Accountants assisting the organization's accounting operations.
Responsibilities include keeping financial records updated and preparing reports in the accounting software programs (MIP Sage) to process business transactions, like accounts payable and receivable, disbursements, expense vouchers, and receipts. The employee should be familiar with all accounting procedures and flair for numbers. This position requires someone who has a passion for First Place's mission, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and can work with others to ensure the effective functioning of the organization as a whole. This position is based in Oakland, CA, with the flexibility to telecommute some days during the week.
Essential Duties and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare and maintain accounting documents and records
- Process monthly corporate credit card expenses
- Entering deposits in the accounting system (MIP)
- Coordinate coding and proper documentation with the Development and Housing Department
- Provide weekly reconciliation reports to Development Department
- Distribute temporary visa cards to clients
- Process client applications to the bank to open checking accounts
- Coordinate with county managers on client payments via EFT
- Extract monthly data from DocuSign Software and prepare, analyze and enter data in MIP by county and program
- Extract and send (Pex-card) bank statements to employees
- Prepare journal entries as needed
- Maintain proper copying, scanning, and filing for accounts receivable
- Assisting with audit preparation
- Research, track, and restore accounting or documentation problems and discrepancies
- Completing miscellaneous, unique projects of the Finance department as needed.
- Confirm with and abide by all regulatory guidance and internal policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Position Competencies and Qualifications:
- Current or recent enrollment in a post-secondary undergraduate degree program with an interest to work in Accounting, or non-profit field
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously
- Proven accounting experience, preferably as an Accounts receivable clerk or Accounts payable clerk
- Familiarity with bookkeeping and basic accounting procedures
- Knowledge of MIP Software and Concur preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and internet applications
- Hands-on, detail-oriented
- Ability to perform filing and record-keeping tasks
- Data entry and word processing skills
- Well organized
- Good number aptitude
- Willingness to work collaboratively, but with the capacity to work independently
- IMPECCABLE ETHICAL INTEGRITY - Highest levels of personal and Professional integrity with an ability to maintain confidential information concerning personal, financial, or medical matters.
- COLLABORATIVE ABILITY - Strong cross-functional capacity to lead and participate in cross-functional teams to define issues and agree on processes, strategies, and outcomes.
- Collaborative work style and the ability to either take direction or work independently as the Situation requires.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - Strong oral and written communication skills, including the Demonstrated ability to research, assimilate and analyze information, compose documents, and present data clearly and concisely to appropriate personnel.
- COMPUTER and TECHNOLOGY SKILLS - Proficiency with Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Strong technical capacity to handle setup and train others to use current technology.
- CREATIVITY AND FLEXIBILITY - Ability to think outside the box and revise course as needed. Strong capacity to develop solutions to tactical challenges to advance defined strategic direction.
- POSITIVE TEMPERAMENT - Professional, friendly demeanor. Adaptable. The habit of remaining peaceful and joyous in a highly demanding work environment.
- AVAILABILITY for occasional evening and weekend work.
Core Competencies - required of all staff for successful performance at First Place.
- RELENTLESS PERSUIT OF EXCELLENCE - Intentional use of data to improve performance • Possesses strong drive, initiative and motivation •Detail and Results orientation • Demonstrates good work habits • Resiliency in persisting through setbacks • Demonstrated success, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource-constrained environment.
- STRATEGIC THINKING - Seeks and utilizes resources to inform and contextualize own work • Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision • Synthesizes information to make astute recommendations and/or decisions • Prioritizes goals for success.
- INVESTMENT IN OTHERS - Creates an environment that maximizes the return on investment in others • Collaborates to set and achieve goals that comport with First Place’s mission, strategic plan and desired measurable outcomes • Creates and utilizes development opportunities to address individual needs and capacity to accomplish performance objectives • Creates and identifies opportunities for recognition of success • Provides supportive environment to learn from mistakes.
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION - Courageous, strategic, clear and direct communication that resolves discrepancies and overcomes challenges and obstacles to organizational success • Ability to respectfully ask questions, challenge, and communicate both positive and difficult messages to subordinates, superiors, peers and youth • Sound judgment regarding the appropriateness of guarding confidentiality to protect the privacy rights of colleagues or youth • Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- COURAGE - Asks questions in order to learn and encourage dialogue • Willing to make mistakes and to be accountable for own work • Speaks about issues truthfully and without blame • Leads by example, displaying behavior that respects the mission, youth and First Place • Holds high expectations for self, one another and for our youth.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical requirements include the ability to lift and reach for light objects (up to 20lbs); close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures; ability to type utilizing a computer keyboard; ability to travel to outside locations; ability to communicate and exchange information; ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office equipment; and the ability to remain stationary and work at a computer for extended periods of time as a primary job function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
First Place for Youth
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at First Place for Youth