Reporting to: Managing Director
Hours of work: 40 hours per week / some flexible evening and weekend hours, plus international travel required.
In February 2019, First Draft is launching CrossCheck International, a global network of journalists, researchers and analysts working collaboratively to investigate and accurately report instances of mis- and disinformation, and campaigns of manufactured amplification.
CrossCheck International projects bring together multiple news organisations around the world, and First Draft will be supporting this work by opening a number of regional bureaus throughout 2019. These bureaux will be hosted by partner universities to help FirstDraft achieve its mission of upskilling and providing real world experience to the next generation of journalists via student newsrooms and other initiatives, designed in collaboration with university faculty.
As Product Manager, you will be responsible for the continued enhancement of the CrossCheck platform, working with an external development team. You will project manage the budget and schedule to ensure new features and fixes are prioritised appropriately, and rolled out with minimal disruption to users. You will also co-ordinate continuous testing and user feedback on the platform.
You will work in close partnership with our Training and Digital Content teams to devise and lead the development of the CrossCheck International member experience, beyond use of the platform. This includes finding efficient ways to stream and share workshops online, and the ability to support real time conversations and conferencing. You will also work with our Research and Editorial teams to develop advanced systems for monitoring and surfacing concerning content, based on the data collected via our platform.
You will be based in our London headquarters, reporting to the Managing Director.
Manage the continued development and enhancement of the CrossCheck International collaboration and training platform
Prioritise product backlog and drive development
Build a deep understanding of our users needs, while remaining at the forefront of current and emerging technologies
Implement and manage a system to collect and address user feedback and bug fixes
Work with the Editorial and Training teams to update user journeys, integrate training materials and interactive media
Integrate First Draft publishing and verification best practices into the platform workflow
Work with the Research and Editorial teams to design effective systems and strategies to support their work
Design and implement strategies for adhering to legalities and best practices for data capture, and user privacy and security
- A minimum of two years’ demonstrable experience in a product management role
- Experience and confidence in managing complex projects and problem solving
- Excellent communication and system management skills and the ability keep multiple stakeholders updated and engaged
- Ability to lead meetings, workshops and focus groups
- Experience managing a testing and enhancement programme for digital platforms
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Highly motivated and driven individual with the ability to engage with colleagues and inspire others
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines, and a meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical teams
- Confidence in interrogating statistical data
- Experience managing staff and budgets
- Fluent written and spoken second language is desirable
How to Apply
We are extending the deadline for applications to February 11 at 20:00 GMT. We require a CV, which includes details of two recent employers who could provide relevant references. You may also choose to share links to any relevant social media profiles, plus one or two recent examples of your work.