Sr. Communications & Marketing Specialist
First Baptist Church of Glenarden Hyattsville, MD
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Do YOU “serve with pride” in both your work and your daily lives?
Have you heard the voice of God calling you to use your God-given gifts and talents in writing and editing to benefit this ministry?
Have you been called to be a SERVANT LEADER, to serve and not just seeking "a job"?
If you have experience in writing, editing and developing strategic communications plan, we'd like to meet you.
The First Baptist Church of Glenarden is seeking a full-time Sr. Communications & Marketing Specialist who will be responsible for drafting and implementing compelling communications plans to increase brand awareness and promote ministry events, as well as writing and editing various print and digital collaterals. If you have experience in writing, editing and strategic communications planning, we’d like to meet you. The Communications Department is responsible for maintaining the FBCG ministry brand and communicating the work of FBCG to multiple audiences online and in print. This position reports to the Director of Communications.
- Draft creative, strategic and effective marketing communications plans for church/ministry events and initiatives.
- Define and lead the execution of weekly communication planning.
- Draft compelling and accurate content for websites, landing pages, blogs, eblasts, social media posts, mobile apps and publications.
- Provide accurate and grammatically correct content for various marketing communications products, including FBCG website, digital graphics, event postcards and event/ministry posters.
- Create the best copy for every execution, selecting the right tone, style, structure and voice based on audience, usage, space, strategy, media and brand considerations.
- Write web headlines and copy that are optimized for search engines.
- Work with graphic designers to produce high-quality marketing collaterals that effectively capture the church and ministries’ visions.
- Edit various materials for accuracy, grammar and compliance with the FBCG Style Guide. Such materials include ministry magazines, ministry resource guides, devotionals, brochures, digital graphics, event programs, event and ministry web sites and registrations, and other editing tasks as assigned.
- Review, edit and approve all collateral that is developed by the Communications Department team members and vendors.
- Update and maintain FBCG Style Guide.
- Train staff and ministries on usage of the FBCG Style Guide.
- Collaborate with leadership and ministries to translate vision, mission and ministry and event themes into clear, consistent and compelling messaging.
- Collaborate with broadcast and audiovisual teams on effective messaging to support FBCG’s visual storytelling needs.
- Work with department colleagues to brainstorm marketing strategies, refine messaging and develop marketing collaterals.
- Interview members, staff and leadership for content ideas for blogs and articles.
- Draft media alerts and press releases to highlight church events and initiatives.
- Prepare FBCG subject matter experts for interviews with news media and provide background materials to news outlets.
- Provide onsite support to staff and volunteers for media appearances.
- Prepare talking points to be used by staff on various issues.
- Develop crisis communications messaging as needed.
- Draft speeches and letters as assigned.
- Work with corporate sponsors and develop sponsorship packages for major events.
- Define and execute an employee communication strategy.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Must be saved, have a servant’s heart, and be a member, in good standing or willing to become a member in good standing of FBCG.
- Must be able to submit to authorities as defined by the Pastor.
- Must possess a gracious, Christ-like demeanor in demanding situations.
- Must have an understanding and appreciation for the ministry and the mission of FBCG.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English, Public Relations, Advertising or related field.
- Requires minimum seven years (7-10 preferred) of directly related experience in writing, editing, strategic communications planning and content creation.
- Requires diverse writing and editing experience with demonstrated creative writing ability.
- Requires experience with web content strategy and Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Exceptional grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deliver high-quality products on deadline.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and in teams and resolve practical problems.
- Ability to multi-task between several high-profile projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage various projects/internal clients simultaneously.
- Must be a strategic thinker, a demonstrated team player and highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to be extremely flexible in an environment that is subject to many “spur of the moment” changes.