The First Baptist Church in Needham is a welcoming community in the midst of an exciting period of renewal. Currently, we are seeking a Custodian/Sexton. This individual will provide support and continuity in the ongoing work of the church. This position is an at-will arrangement. The First Baptist Church in Needham is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Reports to: a supervisory team that includes Pastoral Staff, Church Office Manager and House & Grounds Supervisor
Hours: 16 hours per week (with additional hours as needed)
The Custodian/Sexton will be responsible for the appearance, cleanliness, safety and maintenance of buildings and grounds of First Baptist Church in Needham. Confidentiality, teamwork, as well as being a self-starter and independent worker are necessary for success in this position.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
· Repairs: Regularly inspect the property and buildings for repairs and ensure all systems are functioning properly. Communicate with the church office about ongoing maintenance or problems that need to be addressed. Coordinate repairs for the building.
· Minor repairs: Including but not limited to painting, carpentry, masonry, electrical systems, and plumbing.
· Safety and maintenance: Ensure the property’s interior and exterior are safe and well maintained.
· Clean: Including but not limited to clean and maintain interior and exterior building and grounds and facilities, sweep, mop, scrub, and vacuum floors using appropriate cleaning solutions, tools, and equipment; clean, dust, or polish furniture/brass items, equipment, bathrooms, walls, ceilings, windows, and building fixtures; cleaning tables and chairs; clean walkways, parking lots, and steps; clean windows and sills; clean, wax, and/or seal floors and carpets; clean Nursery School classrooms and hallways; clean church offices.
· Seasonal: Wash windows, install/remove air conditioners, winter preparation, remove leaves, shovel and ice/sand walkways, stairs, and front porch and other areas as needed (may require hours not regularly scheduled). Use of a snowblower. Mow the lawn and care of bushes, plantings and other grounds keeping duties as needed.
· Security: Assist with locking and unlocking buildings. Open and lock up for groups using the building.
· Preparation and Set-up: Prepare church for services and set up and break down for events, meetings, rentals as needed, etc.
· Inventory: Keep an account of church supplies and materials for maintenance and cleaning. Report shortages to the Office Manager for reordering. Restock supplies.
· Quotes: Facilitate the seeking of quotes for necessary contract work – electrical, construction, plumbing, etc., and coordinate with the Office Manager for scheduling.
· Banners/Exterior signage and Interior signage: Hang and maintain exterior church signage and monitor interior and exterior signage for replacement, or changes when needed.
· Elevator: Operate the elevator for designated events and rentals.
· Trash: Collect and move trash and recyclables to the appropriate receptacles for collection. Take recycling to the Needham Recycling and Transfer Station.
· Miscellaneous: Other duties may be assigned as needed
· Extra hours: Willingness to come in at unscheduled times for emergencies (i.e., snow removal, plumbing emergency, emergency alarms, event set up, etc).
· Work log: Maintain work and maintenance/repair logs for all regular duties, projects, and issues, and check the log for new assignments regularly.
· Communication: Communicate daily with church staff and supervisors to monitor the calendar of events and plan hours and tasks.
· Ability to embrace and affirm the mission of the church.
· Ability to balance and prioritize a variety of simultaneous projects; flexibility, adaptability, and resourcefulness a must! Ability to work independently.
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills - these are especially important for this position and its role in representing the church.
· Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
· Minimum of basic knowledge of various trades such as plumbing, heating and electrical.
· Ability to operate tools, from small hand tools to snow blowers, and lawn mower, and larger equipment/machinery when necessary.
· Willingness to assume new responsibilities as new projects become part of the life of the church, or as needed.
· Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent judgment, confidentiality, diplomacy and sensitivity to all persons regardless of faith, economic status, disability, culture, race, age, gender, sexual orientation and human condition.
· Ability to communicate clearly in English – in written and verbal communication. Proficient in texting and emailing.
· Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours for meetings, special services, and events; flexible hours. Regular work schedule to be determined.
· Must provide own transportation to and from First Baptist Church in Needham.
PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE ELEMENTS:
· Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
· Ability to be on your feet up to 8 hours/day.
· Ability to bend, stoop, climb, reach, move heavy items, and climb ladders.
· Must be able to travel to First Baptist Church in Needham within half an hour. Closer proximity is preferred.
$17/hr; Regular hours TBD (16 hours a week + additional hours as needed)
This position is open until filled. Applications accepted until February 07, 2020.
Send a letter of interest and updated resume by email to email@example.com, Subject heading: Sexton Position. No calls please. Any questions can be addressed to the email address provided.