Game UI Designer - Full Time
- Posted: over a month ago
Filament Games is seeking a Game UI Designer to collaborate with our closely knit team of game development professionals on a variety of new learning games and interactive media. In your position, you will craft playful, intuitive interfaces and interactions that bring clarity to a wide range of subjects. If you have a passion for creating thoughtful, intuitive userflows and beautiful interfaces, then this job is for you!
Key responsibilities include working closely with team members to:
- Design, test, and iterate upon comprehensive user flows
- Wireframe, paper prototype and create motion proofs
- Create highly polished, game-ready user interface assets
- Work closely with the technical team to implement your design using game engine tools.
We'd like to see someone who:
- Has demonstrated experience designing usable, engaging interfaces for games
- Constantly seeks to improve and enrich the users' experience
- Is comfortable creating, iterating upon and polishing beautiful interface assets
- Thrives in a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment
Include a cover letter, a resume, and a portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work. We are looking for comprehensive game UI examples, detailed process notes, and a strong display of your visual design abilities.
Remote work: Due to COVID-19, we are accepting applicants authorized to work in the U.S. residing in any state.
- Design digital interactions that are easy to learn, a pleasure to interact with, and augment the user's comprehension of the subject matter
- Work iteratively with the game design team to translate pitches and storyboards into wireframes/mockups/prototypes/animatics that explore and communicate the design
- Revise work according to critique, changing requirements, and user and stakeholder feedback
- Collaborate with the Illustration team to translate wireframes/mockups into game-ready assets
- Effectively utilize motion design principles to amplify input and "juice up" feedback
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors degree in fine art, graphic design, interaction design, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with game development pipelines and technical constraints, particularly with respect to UI integration
- Demonstrated ability to use visuals and motion to clearly communicate complex interactions
- Ability to design and create polished UI Assets in Adobe Creative Suite, or equivalent industry-standard software
- Strong visual literacy: layout, color, visual hierarchy, and typography
- Strong animation skills: a good sense of motion and timing
- Experience implementing your UI assets into a game engine
- Technical art experience creating visual effects using sprites, particles, and/or shaders
- Imaginative problem solver
- Passionate about games, design, and technology
- Driven to create exceptional designs and to constantly improve your craft
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Empathy, not ego: committed to understanding and empathizing with users, always open to design input and iteration
About Filament Games
Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we're working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this.
Our office is located in the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer's Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison's nightlife.
Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, profit sharing, and unlimited paid time off.
We are an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
BusinessView all jobs at Filament Games