Strong team member sought to support teacher, classroom staff, children and parents.
Teacher Assistant Floats are assigned to infant, toddler and preschool rooms according to center needs and demonstrated ability to work well with particular age groups. Teacher’s Assistant’s Floats may be assigned to work for absent staff or to maintain ratios. They may be assigned to any classroom and any work shift on any day. **Communication skills, openness and ability to work in a team are critical aspects of this position.
Program Specific Responsibilities
· Work closely with other teaching/ staff in the development of a comprehensive children’s program in accordance with Felton’s ECE philosophy, policies, and procedures.
· Works cooperatively as a team member with other staff to carry out assigned tasks including activities, child care duties, housekeeping tasks and record keeping so that all the required work for the room is completed in a timely manner.
· Greets parents or guardian cordially and professionally and exchanges accurate information concerning the child’s needs and how his / her day has been daily.
· Create a warm, nurturing, and respectful atmosphere for the children to be encouraged to learn and grow.
· Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs and interests of each child.
· Provides educational and therapeutic activities for children across the general areas of gross and fine motor, imitation, social responsiveness, exploration, self-help, competence, language, emotional and perceptual – cognitive development using weekly activity plans or individual program plans (for infants and disabled children).
· Work cooperatively with parents, staff and third party consultants to meet the individual needs of children and their families.
· Completes and maintains development records as needed for clients. Additional duties as needed.
· Supervises children under his/her care at all times to insure their safety. Keeps all children within vision in order to be accountable for safety. Follows protocols and procedures at all times on a consistent basis.
· Must be a High School graduate or equivalent.
· Must hold State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Teacher Assistant Permit or at least
Six Early Childhood Education units
· Must be willing to continue educational growth to obtain minimum qualifications of a Child Development Teacher’s Permit and to continue educational growth towards a Bachelors Degree.
· Upon hire, must be able to pass a physical exam and TB screening, to meet Title 22 regulations as required
· Upon hire, must pass a Department of Justice fingerprint clearance and a Child Abuse Index clearance as required by licensing
· Must be able to lift 25-40 lbs. (may include lifting children or equipment)
· Must be able to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, lower and raise self from floor during classroom activities and to use both hands to grasp securely on a consistent basis
· Must be able to move quickly in an emergency situation
· Knowledge and experience in working with children with special needs
· Knowledge of low-income and homeless issues for children and families preferred
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the cultural background of the children and families being served
· Ability to relate to children and adults in a positive, respectful manner
· Ability to independently understand, speak, read and write English adequate to communicate effectively with children, parents and staff
· Ability to work independently under broad supervision
· Ability be a team player with a welcoming attitude
· Candidates of color and/or who are bi-lingual in Spanish/English, Cantonese/English, encouraged to apply
Division: Children, Youth and Family
Position Level: 1
Salary DOE: $15.25 - $20.25
plus 21 paid vacation, 15 sick days and 3 Personal Business Days and 12 Holidays.
Reports to: Head Teacher| Teacher