Come be a part of the innovative highly skilled Next Gen team within Federal Student Aid!
The Next Gen initiative is transforming Federal Student Aid to provide a world-class student aid customer experience using industry best-in-class financial services technologies to provide better outcomes for students and greater value to taxpayers. We are deploying a mobile-first mobile-complete digital customer service experience.
Learn more about this agency
At Federal Student Aid (FSA), we are proud sponsors of the American mind. As a principal office of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), FSA provides students and families financial assistance for higher education, and we promote the value of postsecondary education to society. We ensure that all eligible students and families can benefit from federal financial aid for education or training beyond high school.
FSA is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation, providing billions each year in grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career schools.
If you join us, you will be among a team of experts responsible for helping millions of students achieve their goals. Every part of our team-including operations, student aid delivery and servicing, vendor and contract management, and budgeting and cost control-plays an essential role in achieving our mission.
FSA is the largest organization within ED and has approximately 1,400 employees located in our Washington, DC headquarters and in 10 regional offices throughout the country.
This position is located in FSA, Administrative Services Business Unit, Workforce Services Group, Workforce Relations Division in Washington, DC . The Workforce Services Group is responsible for performs complex human resources management work requiring knowledge, skills, and abilities characteristic of the following specialized human resources functions: Labor Relations and Employee Relations.
As a Human Resources Specialist ER/LR GS-201-14, you will be responsible for the following:
* Serves as a technical expert in the areas of labor and employee relations with full responsibility for independently carrying out complex studies and projects involving human resources management program development and/or program evaluation, or for providing complex human resources management operations services.
* Working with disciplinary and adverse actions, performance management issues, reasonable accommodation issues; appraisals and awards programs, the drug-free workforce program and administrative grievances and appeals.
* Providing advice to resolves issues on the workplace and assisting management in taking disciplinary actions when necessary which includes preparing the proper documentation and determining the appropriate action.
* Represents Federal Student Aid in proceedings before arbitrators or the Federal Labor Relation's Authority and in dealing with the Office of Personnel Management and other agencies pertaining to labor relations issues.
* Serves as Federal Student Aid expert representative in inter-agency and intra-agency negotiations, discussions, working groups, and both formal and informal advisory forums to present, defend and negotiate Federal Student Aid positions as the recognized representative of senior administrative management.
We encourage you to read this entire vacancy announcement prior to submitting your application.
### Travel Required
Occasional travel - 1-2 nights per month
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
0201 Human Resources Management
#### Similar jobs
* Human Resources Specialists
* Specialists, Human Resources
### Conditions of Employment
* U.S. Citizen
* Background Investigation and Fingerprint (if applicable)
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
If you are a current federal employee, you must meet all time-in-grade and time-after competitive appointment qualifications within 30 days of the closing date of this vacancy announcement. To verify that you meet these requirements, we will review your responses to the core eligibility questions on the occupational questionnaire, as well as your submitted resume and required documents. To make an accurate determination, you will need to include on your resume your federal position title, pay plan, occupational series, grade level, agency, dates for which you held the grade level (stated as MM/YYYY to MM/YYYY, OR MM/YYYY to PRESENT), and total hours worked per week.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. We will consider all qualifying experience, including any volunteer experience.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
You may meet the minimum qualifications for the GS-14 if you possess:
Specialized Experience for the GS-14
One year of experience equivalent to the GS-13 performing at least two (2) of the following three (3) duties or work assignments:
1. Experience writing disciplinary actions.
2. Experience interpreting regulations, laws and policies pertaining to collective bargaining negotiations.
3. Experience serving as the point of contact for labor relations matters.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
The quality of your experience will be measured by the extent to which you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). You do not need to provide separate narrative responses to these KSAs, as they will be measured by your responses to the occupational questionnaire (you may preview the occupational questionnaire by clicking the link at the end of the Evaluations section of this vacancy announcement).
1. Knowledge of labor management rules, laws, regulations and policies.
2. Skill in developing new or modified administrative policies regulations, goals or objectives.
3. Ability to research and gathering information from a variety of technical /regulatory materials and making recommendations/proposals.
4. Ability to write clearly and effectively on complex issues.
5. Knowledge evaluating problems and recommending solutions.
### Additional information
Equal Employment Opportunity: We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a parent, marital status, or political affiliation.
People with Disabilities: We are committed to expanding access to employment by hiring people with disabilities; providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities; and, identifying and removing barriers to work. Persons with disabilities, including disabled veterans, may apply for jobs filled either competitively (where qualified individuals compete with one another through a structured process), noncompetitively (where a qualified individual may be selected based on a special hiring authority), or through an excepted appointing authority for people with disabilities (i.e., Schedule A). If you require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact us. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please visit: http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Veterans' Career Counseling: If you are a veteran interested in receiving tips on preparing a Federal resume and/or how to prepare for an interview, you may email Iwork@ed.gov to schedule a session with a career counselor ("Veterans Counseling Session" should be placed in the subject line of the email).
Selective Service: If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959, you must have registered for the Selective Service. For more information, please visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/RegisteringwiththeSelectiveServicebeforeyouapply or
Student Loan Default: If selected for this position, we will verify that you have not defaulted on any loan funded or guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are found to be in default, we will contact you to make arrangements for repayment prior to making an official offer of employment.
Suitability and Investigation: If selected for this position, you will be required to complete the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) to determine your suitability for federal empl