Federal Emergency Management AgencyPhiladelphia, PA
Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Local Hire (Administrative Specialist) ======================================
##### Department of Homeland Security
Federal Emergency Management Agency
- ##### Open & closing dates
07/09/2019 to 07/16/2019
This job will close when we have received **200 applications** which may be sooner than the closing date. Learn more
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
$17.38 to $17.38 per hour
- ##### Appointment type
Temporary - Not to exceed 120 days with possibility of extension.
- ##### Work schedule
Intermittent - Temporary
few vacancies in the following location:
##### Relocation expenses reimbursed
##### Telework eligible
- Duties ------
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of** Philadelphia, PA** as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Learn more about this agency
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support. - A local hire's term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster. - Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position. - Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience as an Administrative Assistant.
In this position, the incumbent will answer phones, set multiple appointments, set up and organize files, manage electronic equipment, work with confidential files and answer questions as needed.
Typical assignments include:
- Ordering and maintaining office supplies. - Setting up files and producing file folder labels. - Making copies, filing, and scanning documents. - Producing reports using established formats on required forms. - Entering information into excel spreadsheets. - Using Microsoft Office computer software to support administrative assignments.
### Travel Required
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
- #### Job family (Series)
0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
#### Similar jobs
- Assistants, Office - Office Assistants
- Requirements ------------
### Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to be considered for this position. - You must successfully pass a background investigation. - Selective service registration is required for males born after 12/31/59. - Please review "Other Information" section for additional conditions.
Please ensure you meet the qualification requirements described below.
FEMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salaries are comparable to local pay rates.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
**STAFFORD ACT EXCEPTED SERVICE APPOINTMENTS**: The Local Hire Program is an appointment type granted under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, Section 306 (b), which authorizes FEMA to appoint such temporary employees as necessary to accomplish work authorized under the Act. Appointments under this authority within FEMA are made to the excepted service and are nonpermanent in nature.
To qualify for this position, you must possess the following experience:
- Working with various computer programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; - Operating various office equipment; and - Providing general administrative support
- Minimum age of eighteen years of age is required. - All candidates must be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and provides valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Your application must show that you meet all requirements for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position.
**NOTE:** Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.
**Current or former FEMA Reservists/DAE employees:** To accurately credit your experience for these intermittent positions, make sure to list the dates (from MM/YY to MM/YY) of each deployment, along with the job title and specific duties you were responsible for during each deployment. Failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
### Additional information
- Local hire positions are full time, temporary positions. - To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a background investigation for **Public Trust** clearance as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined (Mythbuster), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. *For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit the OPM website at* https://www.opm.gov/investigations/background-investigations/. - If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment. - DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities. - This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies. - NOTE: TRAVEL BACK AND FORTH TO COUNCIL PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED. LODGING WILL NOT BE PROVIDED TO LOCAL HIRE EMPLOYEES.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. If you are qualified, you will be referred to a selection panel for consideration.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
**Interview Requirement.** Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
**To preview questions please click here.**
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
- Required Documents ------------------
1. **Your resume.** NOTE: Your resume must be in English in order to receive consideration. 2. **Your responses to the job questionnaire -**You will be directed to the online job questionnaire once you begin the application process for this position.
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Benefits --------
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Local Hire employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Health insurance for individual or family coverage. Employer contribution is 75% of premium. NOTE: Local Hire employees are eligible for enrollment for health insurance coverage as of the official hire date/employment date with FEMA. - Flexible Spending Accounts - Federal Long Term Care Insurance - Ability to earn 4 hours of paid Sick Leave per pay period - Holiday pay - Worker's Compensation
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply ------------
To begin your online application, click the **Apply Online** button and follow the prompts to register or sign into USAJOBS, take the online questionnaire, and submit the required documents. See **Required Documents** section for more detail.
We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you cannot apply online or do not have access to the internet (e.g., applicant experiencing documented system issues, applicant does not have access to the internet, etc.), you **may** be able to submit a paper application and the required forms. To do so, please contact the Human Resources Specialist listed in the Agency Contact Information prior to the close of this announcement.
### Agency contact information
### Jennifer Buck
FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency Please read entire announcement Please apply online Washington, District of Columbia 20472 United States
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and training, identify the qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the hiring manager for further consideration and interviews. We will notify you by email after each of these steps has been completed. We expect to make a tentative job offer within 30 days after the deadline for applications.
View more information on applying for federal employment.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders. interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
- Fair & Transparent ------------------
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability - Social security number request - Privacy Act - Signature and false statements - Selective Service - New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538960000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Get fresh Local Hire (Administrative Specialist) jobs daily straight to your inbox!
People Searching Administrative Specialist Also Searched