Technical Writer/Editor (NSF)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job Title: Technical Writer/Editor II
This position is in support of the Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS) at the National Science Foundation (NSF). The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will provide technical writing, editing, and note-taking support for two ongoing advisory subcommittees in the MPS. It is expected that each subcommittee will meet two or three times per month, each meeting for a duration of approximately one to two hours.
- Drafting content that articulates, interprets, and explains important, complex, and potentially controversial scientific programs and funding priorities.
- Working with committee members and interacting with SMEs to develop reports and other written documentation of meeting conclusions
- Attending committee meetings (2-3 meetings a week on average), following discussions, and taking meeting notes with the purpose of aiding in the development of report(s) that addresses charges to the subcommittee
- Performing general editing and formatting, including visualization in consultation with the subcommittee Chair and cognizant NSF staff
- Maintaining all work products, including outlines, draft narratives, and meeting summaries on the subcommittee's SharePoint page, and ensuring these products are available to NSF staff and subcommittees
- Working through all stages of reports: outlines, drafting, developmental or substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading, and revisions of outlines and drafts
- Collaborating with multiple contributing authors in the preparation and review of committee reports
- Supporting the development of clear and compelling premises or plot, determining a tone, style, and voice based on the intended audience, and producing a coherent and captivating narrative
- Conducting research through interviews with subject-matter specialists and other research methods to write and edit committees report
- Providing guidance and expertise to authors while adhering to MPS/OAD AC policies and standards
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree in Math/Science, English, Communications, or similar degree
- At least 3 - 5 years of experience in technical writing, scientific writing, or professional writing distilling complex, technical subjects into Plain Language for a diverse range of audiences
- Experience with Associated Press style conforming with Plain Language standards
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.)
- Master's Degree in English, Professional/Technical Writing, or equivalent
- Experience in the Scientific Communications field
Work Setting and Environment:
- Monday - Friday, approximately 20 hours per week
- Work is to be performed remotely
How FedWriters Will Compensate and Appreciate You:
FedWriters offers team members the opportunity to gain a lasting impression in this fast-growing small business.
FedWriters provides a competitive package of salary and benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401(k) program; generous Paid Time Off (PTO); STD; LTD; life insurance; and more!
FedWriters abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a), and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities and discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
FedWriters is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race; ethnicity; religion; gender; age; national origin; marital status; sexual orientation; gender identity; family responsibilities; matriculation; physical or mental disabilities; political affiliation; genetic information; status as a protected veteran; or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in applying for employment with FedWriters and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for the position, please call (703) 872-7848. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis. FedWriters is a federal contractor seeking veteran referrals.
EducationView all jobs at FedWriters
Get fresh Technical Writer Ii jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.