Farm Credit of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM
- Posted: over a month ago
Farm Credit of New Mexico is the premier agricultural lender in New Mexico, supporting agricultural producers, farmers and ranchers. Farm Credit of New Mexico helps the entire Agricultural community including production agriculture, processers and suppliers as well as the rural economies throughout the state. As a cooperative and a part of the Farm Credit System, our 129 staff serve 1,492 customers in 32 New Mexico counties with additional participated volume in many other states. Farm Credit of New Mexico is a thriving Association with $1.8 billion in assets and an additional $420 million in sold participation volume.
FCNM is seeking an experienced General Counsel with financial industry background and expertise to optimize our organizational efficiency regarding legal matters. The incumbent will apply expertise across all of our business areas, working to protect the interests of our business, customers, and employees. The incumbent will ensure that the company operates within applicable law at all times, offer counsel on various legal issues (including employment matters, standards of conduct, and business issues), and facilitate business strategy development. A successful candidate is a self-starter with an exceptional ability to manage and coordinate competing demands, and the ability to analyze and clearly communicate complex legal concepts. Top candidates will be team players with outstanding advocacy and people skills.
The General Counsel acts as the chief Lawyer of Farm Credit of New Mexico and serves on the Executive Team as the association's legal representative. This position provides educated legal advice to senior management, board members and other leaders on various legal matters and instruct them on how to remain compliant with current laws. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and serves as the Standards of Conduct Officer (SOCO) and Suspected Criminal Activity Officer (SCA) for Farm Credit of New Mexico.
- Ensures compliance with Farm Credit Administration (FCA) regulations, procedures, and guidance in applicable areas
- Oversees adequacy of Association bylaws, amendments, legal controls, and compliance
- Serves as the organizational Standards of Conduct Officer. Educates and promotes compliance with the Standards of Conduct and related policies and procedures
- Provides legal reviews as per the Association Policy Management process
- Advises executive members on new laws, existing laws and legal rights that would impact functionality of the business
- Oversees the legal matters of the business as a whole, including acting as the business' legal representative
- Maintains knowledge of the company's legal documents and operations
- Crafts and reviews legal strategy in response to any litigation
- Prepares, reviews, negotiates, and/or interprets various legal instruments and documents including contracts, leases and agreements
- Communicates with outside counsel
- Excecutive oversight regarding the Director-Nominating Committee Elections/Annual Meeting/AMIS/ and Shareholder lists
- Develops and implements policies and practices dealing with the discovery, investigation, and reporting of suspected criminal activity (responsible for reporting and processing criminal referrals)
- Develops and provides training to Farm Credit of New Mexico employees to assure awareness and understanding of legal risk and compliance requirements
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
- 5-10 years of legal experience in the financial industry; Farm Credit System experience is preferred
- Membership in good standing with current admission to practice law in New Mexico preferred
- Working knowledge of the Farm Credit Act, Farm Credit Administration regulations
- Working knowledge of federal and state laws regarding real property, commercial banking, title, creditor's rights, consumer protection, bankruptcy and environmental laws
- Skill in participating substantively and constructively with the Board and Senior Management
- Ability to simply and clearly communicate complex legal and compliance issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and leadership skills
- Skill in identifying and minimizing legal risk associated with various strategic and business goals and objectives
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
- Prefer candidate with experience in handling employment matters before federal, state courts and administrative agencies (ability to coordinate and supervise outside legal counsel)
At the discretion of FCNM, position may be offered at alternate titles and other business experience may be considered relevant.
Visit our websites for more information:
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Farm Credit of New Mexico
LegalView all jobs at Farm Credit of New Mexico