Fareground Food Hall is hiring a Market and Catering Chef!
Fareground Food Hall Austin, TX
- Posted: over a month ago
Join our team as we reopen this beautiful indoor/outdoor dining space in downtown Austin - Austin's first Food Hall, where we offer an eclectic array of local food and drink!
This position requires previous hotel banquet or restaurant catering experience. Previous experience with Latin, Asian and/or Italian cuisine preferred. Previous experience in food and beverage retail environment preferred.
The Market and Catering Chef will supervise and coordinate all activities concerning the kitchen operations. Responsible for ensuring an efficient, quality finished product before and during service hours. Responsible for hiring and managing BOH personnel. Oversee the back kitchen including prep department. Collaborate with Director of Operations to create and maintain a well-run and systemized flow of daily operations as well as long term growth. Maintain a working relationship with all of the foreground vendors to effectively run the operations. Contribute to the evolution of Food and Beverage retail operations at the food hall, it’s position in the local market and improve upon it.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for quick service multi outlet management and catering operation along with general oversight on overall Fareground culinary programs.
- Taste food items to insure consistency and conformance to recipes and standards of appearance.
- Work with Culinary Director to develop and maintain menus. Create menus that cross utilizes both ingredients and preparation methods used for the Restaurant menus.
- Create and execute catering menus for in-house and local catering business.
- Constantly evaluate menus for all outlets.
- Immediate responsibility is for the quality and consistency of food at market.
- Maintains the menu descriptions and recipe books.
- Research new techniques of cooking as well as new products.
- Take time to give special attention to special guests and guests with special needs.
- Ensure proper plating and packaging of all prepared market food.
- Create and enforce the use of accurate and professional looking labeling of all prepared market food products.
- Facilitate the utilization of product by working with the purchaser and running daily specials.
- Train market kitchen personnel in all menu items and food production principles and practices, by way of constant communication and assisting in the creation and use of accurate menu descriptions.
- Control food costs by maintaining product storage requirements, daily work sheets, standardized recipes, and waste control procedures.
- Maintain product quality standards and consistency, through the hourly kitchen personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of local competition and general industry trends for both food and packaging.
- Responsible for coordination and execution of all
- Use daily kitchen notes to communicate amongst the team
- Establish open lines of communication between FOH and BOH at all times.
- Inform FOH personnel of menu changes, specials, and shortages.
- Work closely with all on-site partners.
- Develop and maintain a system for the purchase of prepared food from Restaurant to Market.
- Develop and maintain a system for preparing catering and outlet orders in an efficient manner.
- Attend daily line up meetings with market FOH staff. Educate market FOH personnel in product awareness and cultivate long-term food knowledge.
- Lead by example and motivate through positive reinforcement.
- Be firm, fair and consistent when involved with employee issues
- Relay all price and description changes to Market Manager.
- Ensure that all BEO’s for Restaurant are posted and accurate.
- Update all management staff to any changes or additions as well as any pertinent information which is learned in BEO meetings.
- Strive for guest satisfaction and maintain the goal of creating positive guest experiences in all revenue centers.
- Organize and operate an efficient, professional service.
- Orientate, motivate, train, and educate all kitchen personnel in the Fareground policies, procedures, and rules.
- Co-ordinate with Operation Managers, Catering Director & Marketing Manager for upcoming events and menus.
- Assist the Operations Manager with maintaining accurate signage in the market.
- Must have full understanding of HAACP plan and local health guidelines.
- Maintain an accurate BEO book
- Articulate all changes to operations managers to maintain levels of communication
- Execute all banquet tastings for prospective clients. Chef must present oneself in a articulate, clean-cut and professional manner for these situations.
- Take cost control measures when executing banquets and follow through with utilization of leftover food in other areas.
- The market chef is responsible for scheduling and getting enough staffing to cover banquet functions and working them according to the amount of revenue expected from said banquet functions.
- Praise in public, criticize behind closed doors, give constructive criticism.
- Constantly develop culinary talent and remember that you can learn something from every employee in the restaurant
- Work with Operations Manager to achieve guests’ special requests.
- Maintain daily logs and coordinate numbers to office manager to maintain actual food costs
- Maintain levels of excellence for all food in the market
- Maintain par levels of food
- Rotate food properly to maintain freshness
- Refresh frozen SVO food in a timely manner
- Taste food regularly
- Take an active role to meet the financial goals of the spaces with regards to variable labor cost and food cost.
- Must take the initiative to cut labor when deemed necessary.
- Create Fareground Cook schedule.
- Oversee Fareground cooks.
Catering Events in Fareground
QUALIFICATIONS: Must have at least a high school diploma or GED. Previous kitchen experience in Latin and/or Italian cuisine preferred. Previous experience with hotel/restaurant catering operations a plus. Must be able to work well under pressure and be self-motivated. Must have good organizational, time management and delegation skills. Good communication skills—both written and verbal, Spanish speaking would be a plus. Requires standing and carrying for long periods. This position may require lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing of approximately 21—50 pounds.