Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President of Communications will oversee the development and management of Family Legacy’s brand and marketing and communication efforts required to support the long term strategic direction of the organization. S/he ensures the integration of effective marketing and communication strategies, both internally and externally, across all functional areas of Family Legacy and provides day-to-day leadership of the Communications Department and manages a team of communications and design professionals.
As a key leader in the organization, this Vice President will provide business and marketing thought leadership to the organization and will collaborate with the Leadership Team to provide visionary leadership to all stakeholders in the organization’s operating model. This leader will develop strategies and implement initiatives to increase the number of individuals and organizations that donate to, advocate for and volunteer Family Legacy to improve lives in Zambia and to deepen their engagement with the organization.
With an entrepreneurial spirit, s/he will oversee and manage the annual department budget.
The VP of Marketing & Communications will interact with personnel across the organization to define and manage marketing, communications and engagement programs.
More specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Building and sustaining a strong, compelling local brand identity consistent with FL’s mission and values;
- Working with marketing team leaders to ensue brand consistency in all FL’s communications and events;
- Identifying opportunities and supporting initiatives that build FL’s brand;
- Overseeing program branding to ensure FL’s visibility and brand consistency;
- Leading the strategic and day-to-day marketing efforts of the organization;
- Building digital marketing capabilities;
- Leading the marketing team in an emphasis on data analytics to make strategic and data-driven decisions;
- Developing effective strategies for reaching diverse communities;
- Evaluating and utilizing new and existing technologies to further the work of FL’s in relationship to marketing and brand awareness;
- Both hands on and oversight responsibility for the development of concept and copy for all high-level communication projects including speech writing, advertising, web-based tools and interactive communications such as social media;
- Planning, developing and directing social media strategies designed to optimize FL’s ability to reach and engage donors, key stakeholders and the general public;
- Supporting the Leadership Team in internal/external communications about the vision and overall strategies of the organization.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities, characteristics and skills:
Marketing & Communications Expertise
The Vice President of Communications is an experienced leader in the field with a curious mindset and a high level of intellectual horsepower. S/he has demonstrated experience in setting and implementing innovative marketing and communications strategies in complex organizations and is capable of integrating disparate elements into a cohesive whole. S/he is analytical and data-driven, able to conceptualize and analyze both problems and solutions and identify key metrics that will help FL work towards its strategic objectives. S/he will champion the use of technology, and will be technologically proficient. S/he is a strong communicator able to interface with a variety of audiences, both internal and external, and will bring a strong customer service perspective to the role. S/he has extraordinary written and verbal communication and presentation skills and the ability and interest in generating high level content. S/he will both create content and oversee staff in the creation of content.
Strategic & Innovative Thought Leadership
The Vice President of Communications is a strategic and results-oriented leader who can translate business and operations plans into marketing and communications strategies in FL’s complex landscape. S/he is a tactical and creative thinker who effectively and constructively will lead FL to consider new and innovative approaches to targeting and engaging new stakeholder groups, as well as branding and partnership development. S/he is a trusted collaborator who can serve the needs of internal stakeholders, effectively setting goals and providing oversight for the management of projects and expectations. S/he sets priorities and executes against them, while also seeing to immediate organizational needs. S/he is a strong problem solver with the ability to step into an unfamiliar situation and add immediate value. The Vice President of Marketing & Communications is a flexible, sensitive and adaptable learner who is comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty, and can lead teams in a dynamic environment.
Building Relationships & Using Influence
The Vice President of Communications is a charismatic, high-energy leader who can talk with all constituents and successfully convey FL’s objectives. S/he is a proven collaborator and influencer both internally and externally and has proven ability to ‘manage-up’. S/he builds and sustains relationships at multiple levels with varied constituencies including donors, local Leadership Team, and Zambian office, as well as the Marketing & Communications team. S/he engages and partners with department heads to collectively accomplish organizational objectives. S/he assesses, supervises, leverages and mentors staff, develops talent and builds teams.
A Passion for the Mission
The Vice President of Communications will have a passion for Family Legacy mission and a commitment to the communities and the people they serve. S/he will embrace FL’s culture, while continually innovating to help expand its brand and reach. The Vice President will be an empathetic, charismatic leader who has strong faith in humanity and treats others with respect. S/he will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted without reservation.
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; an advanced degree is preferred.