We are looking for an experienced Medical Assistant to fill a full-time position at our small, but busy, primary care clinic. The primary purposes of the Medical Assistant are to perform a variety of administrative and clinical tasks to help provide care to patients, support providers, and keep the office running smoothly. This job includes a very large amount of patient contact. Applicants should be very compassionate and caring with people of all ages, ethnicities, and demeanors.
Job Type: Full-time. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm. Patient population: Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric patients. Details of compensation will be discussed during interview and will be based on qualifications and experience.
Characteristics of applicant:
Be at work on time every day and carry out responsibilities as instructed. Must enjoy interacting with people. Must be customer service oriented. Effective communicator with staff, families and outside agencies. Must do well working with little direction. High stress tolerance. Ability to prioritize duties. Only acts within the scope of his or her authority to practice
- A minimum of high school education or GED is required. Completion of a state approved training program in Medical Assistant
- Minimum of one-year experience working with adult and pediatric patients
- Phlebotomy requirements: All candidates must provide evidence of completion of a Phlebotomy training program (and completion of certification exam, preferably). All candidates must provide evidence of experience within the past three (2) years in performing basic phlebotomy skills. Minimum of one-year experience working with adult and pediatric patients
- **Experience with Athena EMR a large plus
Performs rooming and intake process: Collecting patient data (Social History, Current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy), entering data in Electronic Health Record (EHR), perform vital signs, assist with procedures when necessary, and information related to patient’s reason for visit. Ensures exam room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, and forms. Prepares, cleans, stocks each exam room in preparation for patient care.
- Referrals, document processing, Prior Authorizations
- Schedule appointments as instructed by providers
- Maintain provider schedule and follow up appointments as directed by physician, nurse practitioner.
- Take telephone messages and provide feedback and answers to participants, caregivers, physician or pharmacy calls.
- Document all phone interactions with patients in electronic health record
- Give instructions to patients as instructed by physician or nurse practitioner and document communication in participant chart.
- Submit drug refills as directed and authorized by provider
- Telephone/Fax prescriptions to a pharmacy. Send electronic prescriptions.
- Update and file patient medical records
- Fill out insurance forms, FMLA forms, School forms, etc. as directed by providers.
- Maintain inventory of vaccines and enter data in NCIR
- Maintaining inventory of supplies and order appropriate materials, as per instructions
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens (urine, blood, etc.) and order lab supplies as indicated.
- Perform basic laboratory tests: Strep tests, Urinalysis, H.pylori testing, wet preps/KOH slide preparation, Pregnancy tests, Nebulizer treatments
- Vision and hearing screening in adults and children
- Obtaining EKG and/or Rhythm Strips
- The ability to perform phlebotomy, collect laboratory specimens
- Administer medications and injections (must have experience giving pediatric vaccines)
- Draw blood/Phlebotomy
- Take electrocardiograms
- Remove sutures/ staples.
- Change sterile and non-sterile dressings.
- Sterilize medical instruments.
- Clean trash out of rooms at end of the day, or during the day, if required
- Dispose of contaminated supplies (empty hazardous materials trash cans)
- Straighten rooms in between patient visits and at the end of the day
- Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies and re-ordering medical supplies as needed.
- Maintain all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, water temps, emergency medications, expired medications, sample medications, oxygen, etc.)
Interested applicants should send resume with contact information.