Position: Director of Development, Cleveland
Reports to: Executive Director, Cleveland
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Cleveland Heights, OH
Start date: October 2019
The Director of Development in the Cleveland office will work to strategically build the development effort to meet and exceed our ambitious fundraising goals. The Director of Development will focus primarily on major gifts work, with responsibility for managing a portfolio of donors with the capacity to give gifts of $10,000 and above. In addition, the Director will work to grow and support our pipeline of donors, of all types (individual, corporate, foundation) and at all levels, and advance Facing History’s visibility and profile in the region.
Who We Are
We are an experienced and professional office that cares deeply about the mission and work of our organization. We are highly collaborative, both within our team and across all geographies, to ensure the effective local implementation of Facing History’s larger development strategies. We benefit from sharing and support through Facing History’s national development team and partnerships and learning from other geographies. We depend on clear communication, commitment to each other as a team, positive energy, and a collaborative spirit.
Who You Are
You are a lifelong learner and a fundraising or relationship management expert who shares our passion for education, youth and community. You are confident in your abilities to build relationships and secure funding for a worthy cause. You are an experienced leader and coach who is energized by the success of your team. You bring your experience and unique perspective to make us stronger together. You thrive in a team environment, bringing both strong collaboration skills and independent initiative.
- Lead Cleveland Development efforts
- Work with Executive Director to generate and execute Cleveland fundraising goals to fulfill organization-wide strategic plan.
- Serve as primary manager for a portfolio of current and potential individual major donors.
- In partnership with Foundation Relations team, help grow and manage local institutional donor and family foundation portfolio.
- Participate as part of a local and national/international team to carry out Facing History’s fundraising strategy and achieve revenue goals for the region.
- Engage targeted constituencies through additional programs and activities that deepen donor engagement and revenue growth, including new private individual and corporate events.
- Oversee and grow leadership and revenue for annual Business Benefit Breakfast
- Work with the Senior Director of Leadership Gifts to implement and support Facing History’s new donor giving circles.
- In close partnership with the Executive Director, work with the Cleveland Advisory Board, communicating Facing History’s financial model, building board development strategies, providing stewardship and support to Board members, identifying and cultivating new members, and overseeing sub-committee activities.
- Support other aspects of fundraising as needed.
- At least 7 years of nonprofit development experience or relationship management experience, with demonstrated success in major gifts work, including closing high level gifts and knowledge of moves-management fundraising. Must be able to demonstrate past successes as a major gift fundraiser.
- Engaging relationship-builder with excellent interpersonal skills and strong oral and written communication skills; experience building relationships with Board members preferred.
- Creative and flexible self-starter able to work both individually and as a member of consensus-seeking teams.
- Organized and effective project manager, with the ability to manage multiple needs and assignments in a fast-paced nonprofit setting.
- Genuine commitment to the mission of Facing History and Ourselves and ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work to a variety of audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google office suite; experience with Salesforce or other fundraising databases required
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with Cleveland philanthropic and educational communities
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment