Building our Future Together. FXI is a leading producer of foam innovation in the Bedding, Furniture, Industrial, Home & Office, Healthcare, and Transportation markets. We have made it our mission to provide tailored solutions that delight our customers and consumers. With our corporate headquarters, high-tech research and development facility, and multiple manufacturing locations in North America, FXI has built a culture of innovation and achievement that is recognized by customers, suppliers and peers. Our products include finished goods, sub-assemblies, services, and raw materials for OEMs, fabricators, and retailers. You will find FXI’s foam innovations inside, around, and under yourself in countless applications. Everywhere foam goes, FXI’s innovations lead the way! Won’t you join us?
We are looking for an Analytical Chemist who will lead the development of all formulation requirements on flexible polyurethane foams including: literature research, raw material search, formulation development, product performance evaluation, pilot scale production, stability study, specification creation, and production scale up activities.
- Develop and participate in new polyurethane foam product projects.
- Work on projects with milestones and timelines associated with them in projects.
- Perform analytical testing of polyurethane polymer articles and test specimens in accordance to a broad range of test protocols specified by ASTM or other industry organizations
- Conduct evaluations and qualifications of alternative raw materials for functionality, stability, and cost reduction opportunities, and communicate results to management and functional teams
- Develop, validate, troubleshoot, and transfer analytical methods
- Evaluate and interpret analytical data
- Provide scientific guidance and training in using analytical instruments
- Work directly with Quality to perform troubleshooting and root cause analysis on customer quality issues
- Work directly with Manufacturing in formulation optimization, defect root cause analysis, and overseeing successful production scale up
- Provide technical support to Sales in recommending foam grades, and answering technical inquires and responding to Product Stewardship inquiries.
- Evaluate SOPs and operation instructions in accordance with industry guidelines and standards
- Oversee the maintenance and calibration of analytical instruments
- Attend industry conferences to identify the latest trends and innovations
- Record and report on pertinent research and development. Write research and development communications periodically as needed.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- MS/PhD in Chemistry or Polymer Science with 5+ years experience in polyurethane chemistry or related discipline. PhD highly preferred. Polyurethane flexible foam formulation experience preferred
- Experience with and understanding of polymers at the molecular level
- Lab skills in general analytical chemistry and quantitative analysis
- Experience in using or familiarity with modern chemical lab instrumentation, specifically the following equipment: GCMS, DMA, GPC, DSC, TGA, SEM/EDS, FTIR
- Hands-on experience in managing an analytical lab - including routine maintenance, calibration and training - is preferred
Desirable Traits and Skillss
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects with various priorities and deliver results in a timely fashion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance, basic and optional life insurance, short and long term disability protection, a 401(k) plan with company match, tuition assistance, and flexible spending accounts.
FXI is an EEO employer