OBJECTIVE: Develops cost effective and producible tooling, processing, and planning designs for the production of products in response to customer design parameters. Specifies casting mold configurations, gate and riser designs, casting process parameters, and process control plans. Participates in scrap and rework reduction plans. Applies the standard principles, theories and concepts of investment casting. Participates in product development projects.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Evaluates customer design and process specifications, recommends and negotiates changes to enhance cost-effectiveness & producibility, and specifies tooling dimensions for in-house and subcontract tool designers.
· Specifies casting mold configurations, gate and riser designs.
· Establishes part route cards and specifies manufacturing work instructions.
· Validates processes using statistical methods including process capability (CPK), and gauge repeatability and reproducibility studies.
· Develops and manages engineering and first article production project schedules.
· Work closely with Quality, Manufacturing and Production Control to ensure timely delivery of high quality castings.
· Troubleshoots processes in order to define and implement corrective action.
· Investigates new materials and processes technologies for investment castings.
· Analyzes product failure data and laboratory test results in order to determine the root cause of a problem and develop solutions.
· Monitors material and process performance and evaluates material deterioration and process control.
· Designs and directs the testing and/or control of processing procedures.
· Reviews new product plans and make recommendations for material selection based on design objectives, such as strength, weight, heat resistance, electric conductivity and cost.
· Explore new technologies that can further improve product quality and performance as well as reduce manufacturing and processing costs.
· Participates in or leads scrap and rework reduction teams.
· Works closely with tool maker to develop wax tooling that will meet product conformance.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
· Uses casting simulation software to optimize gating design on new and existing products.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
· Bachelor's Degree (BS) from four-year college or university in an Engineering related field, preferably Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering.
· Certificates, licenses and registrations required: None
· Computer skills required: Microsoft Office Suite; Project Management Software, CAD Software
· Other skills required:
o 0 to 2 years of investment foundry or equivalent experience.
o Preferred: 3 to 5 years of experience in investment casting of non-ferrous alloys
o Must be proficient in reading and interpreting engineering blueprints and specifications.
o Must have an understanding of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma principles Must understand basic statistical process controls.
o Must have the ability to act as liaison with intra-organizational departments and routine outside customers.
o Must have excellent communication skills are required for interaction with both, internal and external customers.