Please note that preliminary interviews will be conducted electronically in light of the COVID 19 pandemic. A fully remote position is an option for the right candidate (must be FL bar licensed). Please read entire ad before applying.
We are a fast-paced and rapidly growing boutique law firm devoted to probate and guardianship law in downtown Gainesville, Florida. Our firm services a valuable niche in the field, and is a pillar of support for personal injury lawyers and consumer clients through sensitive and difficult times.
About the Job
This position will provide opportunity for advancement to a hardworking, results oriented attorney that brings a positive mindset to their cases.
We are growing fast, and we need an associate who can hit the ground running.
Probate and guardianship experience is preferred, but not required.
Reporting directly to firm owners, you will be vital to our team and growth.You will have responsibility over a caseload with support and resources to set you up for success. This position will be critical to the continued growth of the firm and will have expanding supervisory responsibilities.
This position will be responsible for:
1. Representing clients and managing a busy caseload of probate and guardianship cases;
2. Delegating to and collaborating with legal assistant effectively;
3. Managing and facilitating progress of cases by using Clio Manage to ensure all tasks are completed efficiently to bring cases to resolution;
4. Proactively communicating with other attorneys, courts, clients, and other parties by phone, email, and letter to achieve case goals;
5. Enhancing relationships with coworkers, clients, and referral partners by communicating effectively and compassionately, and instilling confidence in case management;
6. Drafting pleadings using Westlaw Form Builder;
7. Assisting other staff as requested;
8. Performing other administrative duties as requested.
This job may be for you if:
1. You are motivated to be part of a successful business and willing to tackle any task with enthusiasm.
2. You have compassion and understanding for people who are in a difficult place in their lives.
3. You are friendly, personable, happy, ready to help others, and not easily bent out of shape. We have an easygoing office, but we work very hard.
Our firm focuses on probate law, e.g., death, inheritance, child injuries, etc. As such, situations with our clients and other parties can sometimes be emotionally charged. If you have thin skin or are easily upset, please do not apply. This job is not for you.
4. You are very well organized and detail-oriented. For example, you will be the primary person responsible for keeping all of our matters on track using case checklists and task lists. If you naturally like to see things organized and orderly, then this may be the right position for you.
5. You take the initiative and solve problems on your own, but can also follow instructions for established procedures. Our firm is procedure based, which means that for some things we already have a written procedure to follow (such as case management). For other things, we do not have a process in place yet. So, sometimes you will have step-by-step written instructions, sometimes we will verbally tell you how to do something, and sometimes you will need to find creative ways to get the job done.
6. You like being part of a team. We use a team-based approach in our office, which means that usually everyone in the firm will have a role to play on each client matter.
7. You adapt quickly. Sometimes things at our office move very quickly and we must change priorities at a moment's notice. In addition, because the firm has been growing so quickly, things are also changing quickly. The right person will be able to adapt to that quickly and easily.
As an attorney, you are conducting business on behalf of the firm, and as such you are going to be the representative of our firm to everyone with whom you come in contact, whether via phone, email, U.S. Mail, or fax (yes, we still send and receive faxes). You must be able to talk to people in a manner that is polite and puts them at ease.
You need to be proficient and comfortable with technology and changing technology as our firm leverages technology for efficient case management.
1. Florida Bar License
2. Proficient in Microsoft Office
5. Strong problem solving skills
6. Experience with computerized calendaring and task management is helpful
7. Excellent ability to communicate with the public, including court personnel, other professionals, and active clients
8. Ability to manage several projects (all with deadlines)
9. Self-starter, quick learner, and strong ability to work independently
10.Prior probate and guardianship experience preferred, but not required
11.A genuine desire to serve others and help people who are going through difficult times
12.A willingness to “pitch in” and help other staff members meet deadlines
8:30a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Pay and Benefits
$50,000-$70,000 per year depending on experience.
Instructions for Applying
Please note that your ability and willingness to follow these instructions explicitly will play a big role in whether you will be considered for this position.
To apply for the associate position at our firm, do not use the reply option on this ad.
Prepare a cover letter with no more than TWO paragraphs and a closing sentence. In the first paragraph explain what you believe are the 3 most important qualities needed in someone who works with probate law clients and why you believe they are the most important qualities. In the second paragraph, explain why you applied to this particular ad. As a closing sentence please write,
“I have read the instructions contained in the job posting and have followed the instructions.”
E-mail your resume and cover letter in PDF format to jobs[at]floridaprobatelawgroup.com. The subject line of the email should be your last name (all caps), followed by the position you are applying for in lower case, followed by one word that you would use to describe yourself in all caps. [For example: SMITH associate AWESOME]