Senior Polymer Development Engineer
FABRI-KAL CORP Kalamazoo, MI
- Posted: over a month ago
POSITION: Senior Polymer Development Engineer - Kalamazoo, Michigan (Corporate)
The Senior Polymer Development Engineer develops and applies new materials & processing technology to drive F-K business growth and sustainability. Provide technical support for Strategic Material Sourcing (SMS). Support development of new material product applications and manufacturing capabilities within Product Realization Process (PRP) . Provide materials expertise as needed to support Sales, Marketing, Operations and Quality and develop materials technical competencies in these functional areas.
KEY JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Technical Competency Development- Develops and facilitates materials technical competency training to support the continuing materials education/training of the plant-level staff, assist Marketing & Sales in targeted selling of existing and new material benefits/value to the market and specific customers, and support development of mfg. operating standards and procedures that properly utilize and control key material parameters.
- Material Science Development- Gathers market intelligence and evaluates new developments by plastic suppliers and alternative biobased and recycled materials; develops Fabri-Kal proprietary blends and technology that expand product applications and growth; develops the use of new material processing technologies, and expands the functionality of our fiber product division through implementation of polymer emulsion coatings, laminations, and wet side chemistry advancements. Creates technical papers and presentations in industry forums which promote Fabri-Kal materials expertise and leadership to customers.
- Material Source Control- Maintains an up-to-date Approved Materials and Suppliers List to enforce consistent performance in manufacturing operations, provide purchasing flexibility for qualified multiple sources, meet requirements for finished part performance, and include proper technical documentation for regulatory compliance of all purchased resins, additives and colorants; is the process owner for the successful qualification of plant, product application, and customer approval of all new and replacement resins, additives and concentrates to support materials sourcing management. Serves as the primary technical contact to material suppliers in the role of a centralized materials vendor doorway to Fabri-Kal.
- Commercialization of New Materials and Technology- Provides subject matter expertise and recommendations to the Engineering and Manufacturing teams to support in acquisition of appropriate equipment technology for new materials and processing; specifies the use of appropriate materials in new process equipment; ensures that critical material performance requirements are achieved and processing variables are properly understood and controlled to achieve successful commercialization of new capital and product launch initiatives.
- Materials Technical Support- Provides subject matter expertise to the Sales, Manufacturing and Quality teams to address end-use product performance problems or questions, resolve processing or quality issues in manufacturing operations and address customer quality complaints or internal quality Q3 notifications. Assists Quality Assurance group with regulatory compliance and product stewardship relating to materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Advanced Polymer Science and Engineering- Advanced understanding of polymeric materials, their physical and chemical behavior and use in food packaging. Advanced knowledge of polymer property, processing and performance relationships. Expertise in rheology, crystallization, blends and additives.
- Statistical Process/Quality Control- Demonstrates understanding of Statistical Process Control and statistical quality control systems, gauges and testing.
- Manage Vendor Relationships- Understands the techniques required to develop, maintain and manage business relationships with vendors in order to implement and manage projects
- Thermoforming Technology – Advanced- Advanced understanding of extrusion and thermoforming technology. Keeps current on new developments and trends
- Emerging Technology- Demonstrates knowledge of current and emerging technology and how it affects current and future business needs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Materials Engineering required. Master’s degree preferred
- Ten (10) years, experience with Plastics Processing required.
- Five (5) years, experience with Thermoforming required.
- Experience with Plastics converting machinery required.
BusinessView all jobs at FABRI-KAL CORP