Middle School Teaching Assistant
Brooklyn, New York
WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. We strive to provide students with the academic skills and critical-thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school and beyond.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive-we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We envision a pathway to equity that features outstanding curriculum and instruction as well as ample opportunities for students to achieve success in and out of the classroom. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
Explore Schools seeks a Teaching Assistant who possesses grit, dedication, and necessary skills to prepare our scholars for success in high school and beyond. You have some experience working with children, but may have limited or no experience leading a classroom. This is a tremendous opportunity for recent graduates, or students currently enrolled in graduate school, who are looking to receive frequent feedback, coaching, and professional development to become a full-time lead teacher down the road.
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Grit and perseverance: you possess an exceptional level of patience and focus to overcome challenges and achieve results
- Prior experience working with children
- Relentless grit: patience and focus to overcome challenges and achieve results
- Exceptional communication skills and organized with strong attention to detail
- Skilled at project managing
- Bachelor's degree, strongly preferred
- New York State Teaching or Teaching Assistant Certification, preferred
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Teaching Assistants provide support to our teachers and staff members by fostering a culture of academic rigor and achievement. Primarily, the Teaching Assistant will support a classroom teacher in academic and student behavior management. You will be expected to manage the following on a daily basis:
- Work with small groups of students to assist in reaching IEP goals
- Teach, review, and reinforce academic content
- Keep accurate & organized records of student information
- Assist in classroom set-up and logistics - prepping student materials or manipulatives, classroom beautification and maintenance, etc.
- Support in student behavioral management and de-escalating challenging student behaviors
- Collaborate with families and staff to support student learning
- Ensure the safety of students at all times
- Supervise students in and out of classroom as needed - this may include but is not limited to - moving students to proper locations during fire drills, lunch and recess duty, enrichment activities/classes, etc.
- Administrative, task-based support for teachers and operations staff
- Additional responsibilities to meet the needs of our students
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Explore staff enjoy a competitive salary and benefits, generous vacation-including network shutdown days, considerable matching of retirement contribution, and more.
Additionally, you can expect:
- Professional development: teachers participate in weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and on-going coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive some scholarship towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, and committed to direct and sensitive communication
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
Explore is a network of 8 charter schools located in the Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our network office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn. This role is based in one of our 8 schools.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.